Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > What was your Gatewaybeer to craft beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2014, 10:28 PM   #71
Setesh
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 261 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 296

For me it was Boston Lager. I had tried the BMC beers and didn't care for them at all. I went on for years thinking that I just didn't like beer. Then a friend got me to try a BL and I loved it! It had flavor! From there I was up for pretty much anything that wasn't an IPA. Eventually though I progressed as most do through a hophead phase, then to sours.

/
Now I like pretty much everything, but prefer session beers most of all. Most of what I brew falls between 2.5%-5% ABV. I like being able to have a few pints and still function normally. Best bitter, 60 schilling, Berliner Weisse, mild, dry stout, kolsch, weizen, etc. Anything I can drink a liter of and not get sauced.
/end

Old 02-27-2014, 11:55 AM   #72
MrNickVT
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 979 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Rock art, magic hat and dogfish head are the three that got me started in craft beer!

From high up in the Green mountains!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2014, 12:12 PM   #73
losMythos
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Going north of Boston quite a bit when I was in my early 20's up to Vermont is what made me aware of the Micro brews. Had quite a bit of Trout river, shed, otter creek, Magic hat etc. Being from Boston Sam Adams and Harpoon were everywhere. Harpoon IPA and Sierra Nevada pale ale were my intro to hoppy beers.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:45 AM   #74
youngpretender13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The first time i drank any craft beer... On a whim a friend of mine bought me a growler of Rogue Dead Guy Ale. Neither of us had ever had anything like it before. Usually before that we drank Heinekin, Yeungling, Rolling Rock (before they changed over). It was like a kick in the teeth but we drank every bit of it. Granted i was underage at the time many many years ago. But until that point I never knew anything like it existed. I still love a good growler of Dead Guy. Every once in a while my local super market will do a shelf reset and have Rogue Growlers listed for $4.00!!! and of course we grab all of them and proceed to argue with the staff about the listed price. Surprisingly we have won multiple times! Good Stuff, good stuff.

Primary #1- Nada
Secondary #1- Super MEAD!!!
Bottled -
Soon to Come - House Mouse (Rye sassion with nelson sauvin), Blue Meanie (Blueberry sour), Pride of Kent (Brittish Bitter dryhopped with Brambling Cross), Zen Zing (Green Tea sassion with Citra and lemon zest), London Dungeon (Dark English ale), Dorothee (Sassion with seeds of paradise and local honey)

Old 03-01-2014, 12:55 AM   #75
mothershipbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I started going to the Pittsburgh location when I was 19 with my Dad & Uncle, probably around 2000 and would get served because I was with "The old guys". I went there with them frequently enough that the Bartenders/Servers got to know me and would serve me on my own too after a while. No questions asked. It was awesome. They didnt know and never cared enough to check me.

I started working there in 04/2005 as a cook. After 3 years of doing that they were going to promote me to Assistant Brewer. 2 weeks later after that, they closed the place. What a kick in the nuts.

I still miss that place like crazy.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:13 AM   #76
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I used to drink whatever was in a can and came in a 30 pack and didn't have lite in the name. I had expressed with an old neighbor of mine that I wanted to know more about beer and how to make it so I could explore different kinds of beer without buying a case of something and not liking it (I live in Pa and didn't know bottle shops existed).

For Christmas that year I was gifted a Mr Beer with 3 more refill packs, that was my gateway into craft beer AND home brewing.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:21 AM   #77
hlm123
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 151

I always remembered my family drinking SN and Guinness, so when I started buying beer that's what I picked up. I can remember what my gateways were to particular styles, but probably the first craft beer that really blew me away was Old Rasputin.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:34 AM   #78
Zepth
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Though I've never been a BMC guy I've always had a reasonable variety of commerical brews. Rickards was a long time favourite, Guinness and Kilkenny near the top of my preference. I suppose the first time I really "got" the craft beer would be picking up a Mill Street 6 sampler pack from the liquor store and that great things can be made between work and home. Things quickly spiraled out of control.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #79
NTXBrauer
Prosit!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I made the transition in the early 90s with drinking Shiner and Celis White.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:04 PM   #80
SeeAliceBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Yeungling Black and Tan....still my favorite commercial craft brew to this day!

"If you have drank our beer for more than four hours.....seek medical attention"

Quick Reply