Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > What beer did you really want to HATE, but it surprised the heck out of you?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3488

Default What beer did you really want to HATE, but it surprised the heck out of you?

This thread is sort of the corollary of http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f5/what-...t-didnt-28485/ as well as this little story that Forrest from Austin Homebrew mentioned in a thread;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post

I had a snob of an employee try a beer he thought was mine. He really liked it and even commented on specific things that he liked. He told me it was very good and he wouldn't change the recipe. When I told him it was Budweiser American Ale, he told me "I wish I would have known that first, I am not supposed to like that beer."

Forrest
So what beer did you taste that you expected to hate that surprised you and you ended up loving?

I have three actually.

The first one was the afore mentioned Bud American Ale. I thought I'd give it a try when it first came out, thinking of course that since it came from AHB it was going to royally sucked. And I was surprised and impressed. It was maltier than I thought it would be, and had some nice flavors and was balanced pretty well. It kinda reminds me of a "low rent" attempt at cloning Rogue Dead Guy. Not what I was expecting.

Plus I like the bottles, so I 've drunk about a case of it, and found that on tap it is really nice when it's fresh.

The second one was Hoegaarden. I don't like most wheat beers, in fact a lot of wheat beer styles casue a back of the throat sourness/gag reflex, that is pretty nasty to me. But one day my bottle shop had a couple in their mixed sixer fridge, so I grabbed them with some other struff. I was truly blown away, and it's sort of become my favorite style. I've brewed a fairly decent clone of it. And liking that led me into trying more wits and also led me to try Saisons as well.

And the biggest surprise came from my trying out differrent wits. It's Blue Moon.....I've totally ignored it since it first came out thinking it was the orange sliced purview of frat boys. But I was in a pizza joint over the summer and the only non BMC Lager they had was it, and since I had just got into trying different wits, I thought I would at least give it a try.

And again, it wasn't what I thought it would be. As a commercial Macro interpretation of a Wit, it is pretty good. A little sweet, but you do get some of the notes of spices and the orange.

It's another one of those beers, that if there's nothing else on tap or in a grocery store and I want to grab a sixer and not drive to a better stocked beerstore, I know I can get it and not be dissapointed.

So how about you. What beers out there did you really want to hate...but found that you just can't hate?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
HillbillyBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My "Cascading Wheat IPA" concoction I made a few weeks ago. OK, so it wasn't hoppy enough to be considered an IPA, but I overdid the flavoring somewhat and I at first I thought "yuck". After the first 6 I was craving it more and more!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL YOU BREWERS!!!

1st John 3:18 "My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth."

Support a fellow homebrewer:
Handcrafted Stir Plates & Yeast Banks

Old 11-26-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
Myke_J
Recipes 

Duchess de Bourgogne

I am generally not a sour fan, but this one did it for me. The usual bartender at our favorite Weds night pub suggested to me and I turned it down knowing that she loves sours so I was pretty sure I wouldn't. She offered me a taste saying that she would buy it if I didn't like it. I was shocked at how much I really enjoyed it, although it did really make me want some of the pubs fantastic fish n' chips.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:17 PM   #4
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You stole my thunder with your first entry, Revvy. I was very pleasantly surprised by Bud American Ale. It is pretty darned good. At first I thought that perhaps the Bud people hacked into my computer and stole my recipe for my Righteous Red. Tastes just like it.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 11-27-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Budweiser. Guess it's because I grew up on the stuff, but I still like me a good ice cold Bud every now and then.

Usually a 6-pack is as much as I can handle, and then I need to get back to drinking real beer an hour later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 11-27-2009, 08:17 PM   #6
bonzombiekitty
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I'll go with the Budweiser American Ale as well. Well, I didn't WANT to hate it, I was just expecting I wouldn't like it. I tried a bottle just to give it a shot, and I was pleasantly surprised. Granted, it wasn't fantastic and I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it or order it. But if I was someplace that only had BMC available, and that was one, I'd gladly drink that instead of considering drinking soda.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:23 AM   #7
Zul'jin
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts

Budweiser American Ale here too. It's not that I wanted to hate it. I just didn't expect it to be as good as it is.

Drunking: All kinds of stuff.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:24 AM   #8
peripatetic
Recipes 

The one that really surprised me was Dixie White Chocolate Moose beer. It is a sweet beer, which I was really expecting to hate. My friends insisted on ordering it, and I laughingly took a big taste. It was delicious -- it was like dessert, only beer. I mean, I like beer, but I don't want it for dessert. I like dessert, but I certainly don't want it for beer. Until now!

Unfortunately, I haven't seen it in over 5 years. I had it at the Brickskeller in DC, and now I live in South Carolina.

-------------------------------------------------
Donated all of my gear to my Paduan Learner before recent move to West Coast. Now I get to buy all new stuff, but I certainly don't have anything brewing right now!

Old 11-28-2009, 02:40 AM   #9
sempf
Hellbranch Brewing

Recipes 

I have two.

The first was - strangely - Stella. In the IT world it has become the de facto beer, which I was sure would remove it from consideration right away. But I actually like it a lot, and have brewed several clones. Stella a really clean-drinking, and has a surprising mouthfeel. It has become my grocery-store lager of choice.

The other is coffee with stout. My best friend is a military guy, spent a lot of time in Germany, and thinks that it you can see through a beer it is crap (I have since adjusted that perspective). Anyway, at the local microbrewer (Barley's) he ordered the coffee stout and insisted that I try one. I really liked it! The sweetness is really well balanced by what the brew process does to the coffee. I have since tried several and seek them out at every brewpub I am at.

S

Old 11-28-2009, 03:03 AM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3488

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
The one that really surprised me was Dixie White Chocolate Moose beer. It is a sweet beer, which I was really expecting to hate. My friends insisted on ordering it, and I laughingly took a big taste. It was delicious -- it was like dessert, only beer. I mean, I like beer, but I don't want it for dessert. I like dessert, but I certainly don't want it for beer. Until now!

Unfortunately, I haven't seen it in over 5 years. I had it at the Brickskeller in DC, and now I live in South Carolina.
This sounds interesting. If it's no longer being made, I wonder if there's a clone of it out there. Looks like I'll be doing some digging.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply