The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > weird tasting beer @ a brewpub

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
chthonik
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default weird tasting beer @ a brewpub

The brewpub in question is Franklin's in Hyattsville, MD on Rt. 1. Had their "Best Bitter", which is a new-ish recipe for them. The beer had a weird earthy, almost moldy flavor. But "moldy" is too string a word; it wasn't gross or objectionable, but unusual.

So what do you think this flavor is? It could certainly be one of the hops used, but which one? I've never come across this flavor in any other commercial brew before. Or do you think it's something else, like bad beer in the lines?

It was unusual, I don't know that I'd have it again. Other than the weird earthy taste, it was quite a nice bitter. I'll probably try to track down their brewmaster next time I'm there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Perchance they could have used pride of ringwood, an Australian hop that is being put to use during the shortage.

Also, they could have thrown in some oak cubes or oak chips while fermenting to get a nice brett character. Perchance was it aged in oak barrels, was this a new beer or an older beer. When was it brewed how old was it etc.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 02-26-2008, 07:13 PM   #3
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

An ESB you say? Perchance it was served on cask? If so it may have oxidized a bit, adding some of character you perceived.

Primary/Secondary: #109 Rye, #110 APA

Kegged: #106 American Wheat, #107 IPA, #108 Nut Brown

Planned: Red IPA, American Brown

Old 02-26-2008, 07:15 PM   #4
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

maybe they need to clean their hoses in the tap system.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:20 PM   #5
maltMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I'm not sure if this is what you're describing, but every now and then I used to get a beer that tasted drastically different and the only words I could think to describe it were "earthy" and "clay-like". I couldn't decide if it was a good flavor or a bad flavor....then I was reading about off-flavors and the phrase "wet cardboard" came up....I immediately knew that was what I was tasting but couldn't describe. Maybe that's what you tasted??

Old 02-26-2008, 07:40 PM   #6
dannypo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Most english hops taste at least a little earthy to me. Fuggles actually tastes like mud in my opinion

Old 02-26-2008, 07:47 PM   #7
chthonik
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, these are all good possibilities. My first thought was of course the hops, it isn't necessarily bad, but different. It isn't a very woody flavor and it isn't what I'd normally think of as brett either. my best guess is a funky hop.

It'd be very interesting if they were using Pride of Ringwood.

Like I said, I'm definitely gonna ask about their recipe next time I'm there.

I was never this curious about this stuff before I started brewing!

Old 02-26-2008, 07:50 PM   #8
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have learned to ask for a "Tiny Taste" of any craft beer before I go ahead and plop down 4 to 6 bucks for a pint. Most every place sells tasters or samplers, but I ask for a about a tablespoon and so far every place has provided the tiny sip.

So far, I've only turned back about 8 beers over the last year or so, but it still saves from having to choke down a beer that does not work for ya.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Quick Reply