Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > victory prima pilsner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2011, 10:14 PM   #31
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3332 Times on 2064 Posts
Likes Given: 2835

I attempted to clone it a few times. I tried different yeasts, etc. No luck.

The last attempt was with Nothern Brewer only - for bittering and a 20 minute addition. Was good, but not a clone. I'll brew a bunch of them this winter and see if I can nail it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #32
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944play View Post
There are only two conclusions to be drawn:
1. You got a stale Prima
2. You have no palate
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
... or 3, I like beer and not hops-water.

I have read often on this board about the silliness of the trend of american craft brewers to go big on hops to try to stand out only to forget about balance. I didn't really get it till I was able to come down here across the border and sample a wide variety of craft brews. This beer is 44ibu (beer advocate) but has low alcohol and pours very light and has little malt flavour. That is just terribly unbalanced.

But hey, if you like a sharp bitter drink with not much flavour besides hops then this is totally your brew!

Good call 944, it is a bad palate.

_

Old 06-23-2011, 07:54 PM   #33
Jaysus
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I agree with 944 and 450

Old 06-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #34
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

I wasn't getting that review either. I just recently bought some and thought, for a German Pils, it had more body/color and wasn't as bitter as I expected. I actually thought it was leaning towards a Czech Pils (although I've never had a non-skunked, fresh true Czech pils).

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 06-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #35
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Yeah, the guy who says this beer has no body definitely isn't drinking the same Prima as I am.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #36
MazdaMatt
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerbrau View Post
Yeah, the guy who says this beer has no body definitely isn't drinking the same Prima as I am.
Well that's good to hear. I'll give it another try some time. Maybe this one had been ruined - no telling how old it was or how much light it saw. It was nasty.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #37
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Well that's good to hear. I'll give it another try some time. Maybe this one had been ruined - no telling how old it was or how much light it saw. It was nasty.
Every beer is worth a 2nd try, unless of course it's genuinely bad like Bud Clamato.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 08-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #38
redde2brew
Recipes 

Quote:
This beer made me take the plunge and come up with a lagering setup. My local craft beer pub has it regularly on tap. IMHO one of the best lagers brewed in the US.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #39
redstrat
Recipes 

I brewed this recipe earlier this year and it was amazing, i like the clone more than the original. The only change i had was i used an undermodified pilsner malt and i fermented using wyeast2124. I cant wait till the weather cools down again so i can brew this one again.

Last edited by redstrat; 08-16-2011 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Added yeast name

Old 08-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #40
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

I'm brewing another Pilsner this weekend, a Bohemian. I saw the correspondence with someone from Victory earlier in this thread and they stated a 13ºP (1.053) starting gravity and the ABV is 5.3 so you would think the FG would be around 1.0125. I went to my local bottle shop and picked up a few bottles of Prima Pils, degassed one and took a gravity reading...it was 1.006! That seems very low and would imply the ABV is 6.2% assuming a starting gravity of 1.053.

When doing research for brewing a Tripel or Golden Strong, I did the same thing with Golden Monkey. In BLAM, they list the OG at 1.085 which would give a FG of 1.0125 for a 9.5% ABV beer. When I tested the real FG, guess what it was? Yup, 1.006.

Take this info for what it's worth. I'm sticking with the 13ºP OG for now. Maybe through their decoction regimen, they have found over time how to keep a full body with low FG. That would save them on grain costs.

Next: ?
Fermenting: Munich Helles v4, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Quick Reply