Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Unibroue Éphémère

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2008, 02:17 AM   #1
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 603 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default Unibroue Éphémère

At the recommendation of Chairman Cheyco, I gave Éphémère a try. It's pretty tasty stuff. It's very light bodied, highly carbonated, and lightly flavored. Like many Belgian style beers, its redeeming quality is a strange one - sour apple! The aroma is full of yeast and esters, almost like a fruit lambic, but the flavor is very soft with a pronounced green apple note. This is a very easy drinking, refreshing summer beer. Give it a shot!

EDIT:
After a bit of searching, I see there are a few requests for a clone brew - I haven't a clue as to the ingredients. Unibroue mentions that the recipe contains "apple wort," whatever that is. I'm guessing this isn't a terribly popular beer among homebrewers. The last attempt at an HBT discussion about it (2005) went nowhere.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2008, 02:24 AM   #2
solbergg
Recipes 

I had this recently at my local watering hole. I also enjoyed it quite a bit. I pulled off a new feat with it as well. Everyone here makes claims about being able to attract the BMC crowd to certain beers......well, I had my wine drinking friends into Ephemere!

Old 05-22-2008, 03:00 AM   #3
Ice9
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was tempted buy a bottle of this a few months ago but I ended up not getting it. Sounds like I need to go pick up a bottle. Thanks for the review.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled/Kegged/Conditioning: Orfy's Boddington's clone, Orfy's Old Speckled Hen clone, SN Celebration clone
On Deck: Gumballhead clone, German Pilsner
Drinking: Old Ale, Bourbon Barrel Wee Heavy, Bourbon Barrel RIS

Old 05-22-2008, 04:17 AM   #4
mr_cad

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I found one of these in town about a year ago. I enjoyed it very much. I am not one for fruity flavors but this seemed rather enjoyable. I went back to the store and bought the rest of the case. Sadly they are all gone and I have not seen it since then.

(1 Timothy 5:23) . . .Do not drink water any longer, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent cases of sickness.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:09 PM   #5
Dycokac
Recipes 

I Personally have a really light wheat i made with only 4lbs wheat LME, the wyeast american wheat yeast (forget which hops) and 1oz of bitter orange. I also have a fresh batch of Apfelwein (minus the 2lbs corn sugar and with montrechet yeast). doing a mix of 80/20 or so I get something similar to the apple taste profile of Éphémère.

So I bet you could get pretty close by making a whit with some bitter orange and a greenapple version of appfelwein then blend the two around 80/20 and call it pretty close.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like the black currant (cassis) version more than the apple---but it's hard to find. I made a clone awhile back...it's hard to find actually black currants when they're not in season, so I used the looza juice in the fermenter, along with some currant jelly, then added some essence/flavoring at bottling to taste. It turned out great. The base beer was essentially a wit without the spices.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 05-22-2008, 10:18 PM   #7
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

They also make Raspberry and Peach as well. The former is easy to find but the Peach along with the Black Currant version are about as rare as hen's teeth. If you ever see either of them and you like fruity Belgians (er...) buy as many as you can afford.

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:49 PM   #8
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I had it for the first time recently and really liked it, and the SWMBO wants me to do a clone. The closest I've found is the BYO Jolly Rancher Lambic:
http://www.byo.com/recipe/1330.html

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 05-22-2008, 10:50 PM   #9
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
I like the black currant (cassis) version more than the apple---but it's hard to find. I made a clone awhile back...it's hard to find actually black currants when they're not in season, so I used the looza juice in the fermenter, along with some currant jelly, then added some essence/flavoring at bottling to taste. It turned out great. The base beer was essentially a wit without the spices.
I've had the apple and thought it was kinda meh...haven't seen the black currant version so I'll have to keep a lookout for that.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:17 PM   #10
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ephemere was one of the beers that triggered me to start trying different beer, which essentially led me to homebrewing.

It's kind of rare, I've seen it in two places and they'd sat there so long the shelves under them were discolored.

Though, oddly, the ONE time I actually CRAVED Ephemere I was in Keene, New Hampshire and asked the bartender of Vendetta for one and he had it! I was blown away.

Ephemere is good.

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Quick Reply