Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Tupper's Hop Pocket

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2005, 01:28 AM   #21
rightwingnut
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The "other" was my second batch, porter was third. I don't know what it was...I called it a "bitter", but I really didn't follow a recipe. I can see the sweetness...I don't love it myself. For the porter I steeped chocolate malt, and I like the taste it imparted. I gotta start following recipes until I get good enough to wing it. Thanks for the feedback. I'll send you a bottle of my blueberry mead if you want, although it's still fermenting after a month and a half!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2005, 12:34 AM   #22
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The first had an awesome hop character to it, but to me it was sticky-sweet. What did you put in there to make it so sweet? Back off on that and to my taste, you've got one helluva great beer there.

The porter was excellent. One of the most oily-black beers I've ever seen. I'm guessing you used a little malto dextrin in it? It sure did have a thick mouthfeel to it. I certianly enjoyed it!

I've got a porter going right now, but it's quite a bit different than yours. Higher gravity and not as dark. I don't think mine will be nearly as representative of the style as yours was.

Since I've sampled and critiqued some of yours, I'm willing to send you some of my Old Speckled Hen clone to try. I've got a couple others as well, but they need more time in the bottle. If interested, lemme know and I'll get your info from orrelse and get you some in the mail.

Sam

Gone unsung for far too long

Old 03-22-2005, 01:11 AM   #23
rightwingnut

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam75
The first had an awesome hop character to it, but to me it was sticky-sweet. What did you put in there to make it so sweet? Back off on that and to my taste, you've got one helluva great beer there.

The porter was excellent. One of the most oily-black beers I've ever seen. I'm guessing you used a little malto dextrin in it? It sure did have a thick mouthfeel to it. I certianly enjoyed it!

I've got a porter going right now, but it's quite a bit different than yours. Higher gravity and not as dark. I don't think mine will be nearly as representative of the style as yours was.

Since I've sampled and critiqued some of yours, I'm willing to send you some of my Old Speckled Hen clone to try. I've got a couple others as well, but they need more time in the bottle. If interested, lemme know and I'll get your info from orrelse and get you some in the mail.

Sam
Thanks much, man, I'm flattered! I don't know why the first was so sweet...maybe it didn't ferment out fully...I'll have to go back and check my log. The porter had no dextrin. Just chocolate malt, LME (I ordered wrong or they sent wrong, 'cause I wanted DME), whole hops and English or British Whitelabs. I just kinda guessed at ingredients after browsing some online recipies. I'd love to sample yours, and I'll send you more porter if you want. It's all I've got bottled now, and I'm the only one who drinks it, so there's a lot left. PM me if you're interested.

Quick Reply