Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Tupper's Hop Pocket

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2005, 01:32 AM   #1
rightwingnut
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Tupper's Hop Pocket

Janx...you spoke well of this brew, as do I now that I bought a six-pack. Very good...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2005, 01:57 PM   #2
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've been grabbing a sixer of Tupper's every once in a while, too. Nice when you're in the mood for something hoppy! Also, it says on the bottle that 50% of the proceeds go to charity....what charity I can't recall at the moment.

Old 03-06-2005, 05:45 PM   #3
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam75
I've been grabbing a sixer of Tupper's every once in a while, too. Nice when you're in the mood for something hoppy! Also, it says on the bottle that 50% of the proceeds go to charity....what charity I can't recall at the moment.

That's brewed here in Virginia.
I picked some up today to see what its all about. I'd like to get more of an idea of what other's tastes are--rightwing and I had different thoughts on the Anchor and Yeungling porters, so it'll be interesting to see what he thinks of my brown ale and what I think of the Tupper's.

Other ones I bought to try tonight--Old Leghumper Robust Porter, Great Lakes Brewing Co. Christmas Ale, Morland Brewing Hen's Tooth, and then I'll finish off with some more Anchor Liberty. I'll provide personal reviews on all, as usual!
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 03-06-2005, 06:30 PM   #4
OSUmoney83
Recipes 

Location: In the heart of buckeye nation, now (2012) in Scottsdale, Arizona
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You should thourougly enjoy the old leghumper, I had some a a couple months ago and it blew me away. Only problem I had was that the head dissipated too quickly, no matter how I poured. Let me know if you had this problem as well.

Old 03-06-2005, 11:13 PM   #5
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUmoney83
You should thourougly enjoy the old leghumper, I had some a a couple months ago and it blew me away. Only problem I had was that the head dissipated too quickly, no matter how I poured. Let me know if you had this problem as well.
1. Old Leghumper: Best beer I've had so far today (4th one). Very similar to Anchor Porter, IMHO. Better than Yeungling Porter (sorry rightwing! ) as well. It didn't keep a head long at all, but I'm positive my glass wasn't "beer clean" at that point.
2. Great Lakes Christmas Ale: Truly did not like this one. It had an aroma of dog food, I'm not kidding. It tasted different, didn't know if it was the spices it was brewed with or what. I actually dumped half of it out. I'm hoping it was old. Beer should not smell like Purina.
3. Hen's Tooth: Good one. Way sweeter than I was expecting. Might be something wrong with my palate, or a "only in my head thing", but I taste something funny with these exported beers. I can't describe it. Hens' Tooth has it, Old Speckled Hen has it, and Newcastle from the bottles has it. It doesn't make it undrinkable, just odd.
4. Tuppers: Damn good beer. I can see drinking this while BBQing out in the backyard this summer. I'm glad the liquor store on base sells this. I'll be drinking this again for sure.

Now on to some more Anchor products.....
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 03-06-2005, 11:19 PM   #6
rightwingnut

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Anchor Liberty is awesome, and I think their Steam is my favorite beer as of now. The porter just didn't do it for me...I'll try it again sometime to make sure it wasn't an off-batch. Anchor Liberty, Tupper's Hop Pocket, and Sierra Pale....I'm in hop heaven! How would you compare those three? SN has always been my favorite...but the Anchor was damn good...

Old 03-06-2005, 11:30 PM   #7
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Orr, you suck! I'm between night shifts, so no beer for me! Where are you getting your Anchor beers? Just buying singles at World Market, or does someplace around here carry sixers? The Class VI never seems to have any of their stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightwingnut
Anchor Liberty, Tupper's Hop Pocket, and Sierra Pale....I'm in hop heaven! How would you compare those three? SN has always been my favorite...but the Anchor was damn good...
I've never had the Libery, but I find SN to be a little more "floral" than Hop Pocket, but HP being true to it's name, is hoppier! I think SN has a very broad appeal for a somewhat specialty beer. HP probably wouldn't appeal to your average Bud drinker.

Old 03-06-2005, 11:33 PM   #8
rightwingnut

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh, no way a loyal Bud drinker would go for Hop Pocket...and I can see what you mean about SN being more floral and HP being hoppier, for sure. I think I prefer the floral...but their all awesome.

Old 03-06-2005, 11:56 PM   #9
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Working from memory, Tupper's is way more bitter, higher IBUs, more flavor and aroma hops than SNPA. Tupper's is really more of an IPA than an APA if memory serves.

Liberty has always been in its own world. It was around before the big boom of IPAs. Now everyone has a heavily hopped beer, but most don't taste like Liberty. I remember tasting Liberty 10 or more years ago and it was one of the first American floral, hoppy beers I had had at that point. I'd say it's more in the range of IPA in terms of bitterness and aroma as well. It's really got a lot of finish/dry hops.

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 03-07-2005, 12:04 AM   #10
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sounds like I need to get ahold of some liberty. I'm after a really good IPA, but think I want the American style, with a more floral character.

What is it that gives the American style that more floral character over the traditional IPA's? I'm trying to get a recipe together for an IPA, so I could use some ideas.

Quick Reply