Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Trois Pistoles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2008, 02:10 AM   #1
ohiobrewtus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Trois Pistoles

Brewery: Unibroue
Style: 18E Belgian Dark Strong Ale

Aroma: The characteristic apple nose is present, along with slight notes of cheery and what almost smells like cocoa/chocolate. There is also a sweetness in the background that almost reminds me of molasses. At 9% abv I would expect to detect some alcohol hotness, but none is present. No hop aroma is present.

10/12

Appearance: Gives a nice 'boom' when uncorked. An agressive pour resulted in a 2 finger head that dissipates fairly quickly to about 1/8" that remains throughout. Cocoa in color with slight carmel to amber highlights on the edges when held to light.

3/3

Flavor: The sweetness in the nost continues into the palate, but plays int he background when compared to a delicate symphony of flavors ranging from dark fruit with faint hints of chocolate and biscuit in the front to a slight fruity (apple/cherry) tartness in the finish. No alcohol hotness is present, but that could be masked by the high carbonation level inherent to the style. Only a very slight hint of hops are detectable in the palate, accentuating the delicate balance of this beer.

17/20

Mouthfeel: High carbonation makes this feel like a full bodied beer. Little to no diacytl, no DMS. This beer is very drinkable as a dessert beer, but certainly not quaffable in large quantities as the 9% abv would make you regret it the next morning. Drinks very smooth despite 3+ volumes of co2.

4/5

Overall Impression: This is a great beer at almost any price, but considering that I can pick this up for $6.99 per 750ml bottle at my local World Market, the price makes this a beer that everyone owes themselves the favor of trying at least once. If you like Belgian Dark Strong Ales, you will not be disappointed.

8/10

Overall Score: 42/50

Last edited by ohiobrewtus; 10-07-2008 at 02:24 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2008, 02:21 AM   #2
Big10Seaner
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I would also recommend this beer, as well as Unibroue's La Fin du Monde.

[B]The End of the Line Brewing
Primary: Saison
Secondary: Nada
On tap: Farm Pond IPA, Airstream Ale, Barn Door Dubbel, Saison, Oktoberfest ale
Bottled: Blackberry mead, RIS

Old 10-07-2008, 02:28 AM   #3
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm a big fan of this one, more than Fin du Monde.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Quick Reply