Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Stone Vertical Epic 07

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2008, 11:31 PM   #1
Boston Brew Guy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Stone Vertical Epic 07

The liquor Store near me has a few of the 07 vertical epics. Are these a good beer? They are fairly expensive, so I would rather not buy one if they are considered to be a gimmick or overrated.

Up Next: Long Trail Double Bag Clone
Primary: Red Soxtoberfest Ale (to be opened when the Sox are in the World Series)
Primary: Apfelwein
Bottled: Wicked Black Porter

Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all of life's problems.
- Homer Simpson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2008, 04:21 AM   #2
BrianP

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

They're quite popular. It depends on what types of beers you like. This one was intended as a blend of a saison and a tripel, with ginger, spice, and citrus peel. Sounds interesting and will improve with age (it's meant to be aged).

I found the write-up using Google, including their home-brew recipe for a clone of it. If you try it and like it, you can make your own. Stone appreciates home brewers and it's cool that they provide recipes for their specialty beers.

http://www.stonebrew.com/epic/homebrew_recipe.php?ReleaseYear=2007

Cheers,

BP

-------------------------------
Fermenter 1: Best bitter (1)
Fermenter 2: Best bitter (2)
Fermenter 3: APA
Fermenter 4: APA

Old 07-25-2008, 10:58 AM   #3
Boston Brew Guy
Recipes 

Sounds interesting. How long should it be aged? I assume that they were all brewed and then released on 07-07-07, is this true? Is one year decent aging, or are you talking something like 3-4? Thanks for the info.

Up Next: Long Trail Double Bag Clone
Primary: Red Soxtoberfest Ale (to be opened when the Sox are in the World Series)
Primary: Apfelwein
Bottled: Wicked Black Porter

Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all of life's problems.
- Homer Simpson

Old 07-25-2008, 01:25 PM   #4
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

It was ready to drink on 07-07-07 but should continue to change for years. The intent of the vertical epic series was to sample all of them on 12-12-12 with several samplings in between.
I have an 07-07-07 I picked up last summer. I intend to try it just as soon as my cold clears up so I can actually taste it.

Craig

Old 07-25-2008, 05:03 PM   #5
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I didn't like the 07. I thought it was easily the weakest of the series so far. The 03 and 04 were amazing and I will be saving the last ones I have until the 12-12 date.

I suppose it might have ggotten better by now, but fresh I just didn't care for it.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:10 PM   #6
Germey

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
I didn't like the 07. I thought it was easily the weakest of the series so far. The 03 and 04 were amazing and I will be saving the last ones I have until the 12-12 date.

I suppose it might have ggotten better by now, but fresh I just didn't care for it.
I got 3 in 7/07 and was not real happy with the first one. The flavors were all disjointed and the spice was bordering on obnoxious. I just drank my last one last month and it is a different beer. Fantastic! I wish I had the means to pick up cases and store them when I know it will be a good aging brew. If I see them for sale for under $10 I'll probably get a few more.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:13 PM   #7
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'd look around at smaller shops. Sometimes Stone releases hide at the less known vendors for a whole year or more.

I miiiight have a second bottle that I guess I could try, but I can't break the set.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
rowingbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just fell into 2 03s at a small shop yesterday. the guy i talked to who i assume was the beer manager had to have know the premium this thing could have commanded, but i got them for 15 a piece.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:09 AM   #9
gusty83
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowingbrewer View Post
I just fell into 2 03s at a small shop yesterday. the guy i talked to who i assume was the beer manager had to have know the premium this thing could have commanded, but i got them for 15 a piece.

Hey man. I work in hopkinton and Ive been trying to get my hands on some verticals. This sounds like a good store that I havent hit up. Im sick of the ones I go to I want to see new things. Do they still have any verticals at this place or did you buy them all?? :P

Old 11-20-2010, 08:20 PM   #10
BennyN
Recipes 

I absolutely loved the Vertical Epic 08, but I don't now how much different it is from the 07. I'm still hoping to dig up another 08, drank mine in 09 and I'm sure it will be amazing in 2010. But man, you guys just lit a fire. I need to try to track down some older epics too.

Quick Reply