Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Stone IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2007, 05:27 AM   #11
mr_cad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Stone is a very good IPA. I pick one up everytime I make a beer run. Just have to get my dose of Stone so they keep bringing it to town....I think you may have found an old one.

(1 Timothy 5:23) . . .Do not drink water any longer, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent cases of sickness.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2007, 06:25 PM   #12
AlaskaBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
What did it look like. I came across some bad Stone IPA's as well. The one on the left is a bad Stone IPA. Cloudy and & sour.

Mine is on the right

It was cloudy like the one on the left. Is it due to the way it was stored? The one I bought was from a place I have never been to before.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:55 PM   #13
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

It seems the farther IPAs get shipped, the worse they get. I'm pretty local to Stone and have never had a bad bottle. I've bought some IPA from out of state that tasted like cardboard.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 11-05-2007, 07:10 PM   #14
Germey

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsmith
It seems the farther IPAs get shipped, the worse they get. I'm pretty local to Stone and have never had a bad bottle. I've bought some IPA from out of state that tasted like cardboard.
That's a very ironic statement given the origin of the style.

Anyway, I also love Stone, but would never recommend it to someone who was just starting to branch out into craftbeer tastes or bigger hop tastes. I actually think the good ol' Stone pale is a better balanced beer. With both the IPA and the Levitation, I need to be in a "I want to be puckered by hops" mood... (not uncommon, just not always)

AlaskaBrewing, what beers do you like normally?

Old 11-05-2007, 07:21 PM   #15
AlaskaBrewing
Recipes 

I usually drink porters, stouts and strong ales. Not just Guinness and Smithwicks, I also drink the stouts that a couple of the brew houses make in Anchorage. Here in Palmer there is the Great Bear Brewing Co that makes a great Strong Ale and Berry Strong Ale. I was trying to broaden my tastes by trying an IPA and didn't want to base my opinion on a style of beer without any reference. Looking at some of the other posts I think there might be some other brands worth trying. I can usually find 22oz bottles at the store, so I am going to try a couple different ones.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:21 PM   #16
Nyxator
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germey

Anyway, I also love Stone, but would never recommend it to someone who was just starting to branch out into craftbeer tastes or bigger hop tastes. I actually think the good ol' Stone pale is a better balanced beer. With both the IPA and the Levitation, I need to be in a "I want to be puckered by hops" mood... (not uncommon, just not always)

Let me start by saying Stone IPA is my absolute favorite IPA. I don't think there's anything remotely balanced about their Pale, though, but I like it that way. Their Pale is on par with most other IPAs I've tried.

Yeah, the shipping thing is pretty funny. I don't think the bad bottle has anything to do with shipping though.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:43 PM   #17
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germey

American IPAs are not like the original English version. And think of how they go there...in barrels. American bottled beer sits in the brewery before shipping and then gets shipped to a warehouse, where it is then shipped to the store where it sits around in the back before it gets put on the shelf and sits in front of flourescent lights for I don't know how long before you buy it and drink it. The farther it has to go, the longer the times for all of these stages. There are so many hops stuffed into an AIPA that a little bad handeling is pretty evident.

I and many others around here have had bad IPAs before, I I have noticed that the farther from the brewery someone is, the more likely they are to have a bad experience. The IPA I referances before was Bridgeport IPA, from Portland, OR. I bought a sixer in Portland once and drove it home to LA and it was fantastic. I bought a sixer here that came from a closed 24 bottle case and it was cardboard - every bottle.

Here's an experiment, next time it's over 100 outside and a bright sunny day, pour an IPA and start doing some work outside with the glass near you. After 15 minutes you'll have skunk juice. If that can happen after 15 minutes, what can happen over 2000 miles and a few months?
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Old 11-05-2007, 07:57 PM   #18
Germey

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
American IPAs are not like the original English version.
Oh, I wasn't arguing with you at all. Just pointing out the irony in relation to how the style was originally named.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:01 PM   #19
Brewsmith

Recipes 

No worries. This is the one style where I've had bad bottles several times and distance seems to always be a factor.

My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Old 11-05-2007, 08:17 PM   #20
Germey

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
No worries. This is the one style where I've had bad bottles several times and distance seems to always be a factor.
I've been thinking about it, and I can't really remember the last time I had an IPA that wasn't local. I realize I'm a bit spoiled being able to choose from so many top notch local examples. Whenever I go somewhere, I also make it a point to drink what's local there.

Quick Reply