Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Stone "drink by" IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #11
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 684

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTate37 View Post
DO NOT...I repeat...DO NOT drink a 2 L growler of Enjoy By by yourself in one sitting. It will ruin your lunch at Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens the following day and you probably won't enjoy the tour as much as you should. The samples after the tour, however, will perk you up a little bit.

It is an outstanding beer. I look forward to the day that Stone deems Alabama worthy of distribution of this beer.
Good luck. I'm in SoCal a few hours up the freeway, and I can barely score a bottle.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 93 batches and counting (as of 8/17/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2013, 10:52 PM   #12
jperry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 529

I usually only get bottles of Enjoy By, at the Stone company store, or at Bevmo. However, everywhere else, store owners/workers act like they have to bend over backwards, to let you buy a largely marked up bottle.

I go directly to Stone, just to skip all the hassle. It's a really great beer, but people hype it up too much and that makes it hard to find.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:39 AM   #13
TurfinUSA
Recipes 

I've tried "Enjoy by", I like "Enjoy by", but I'm unwilling to play games to get it in North Carolina. Exclusivity marketing has a long history but let's face it, it's just a good beer. I plan on brewing my own from a Bertus brewery recipe and not obsess about it.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:19 AM   #14
TrickyDick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsquared
Tricky dick, I was in a class taught by Mich Steele this summer, and according to him they are using hop extract for bittering and the base malt for the beer is golden promise. The use of extract gives them (i think) ~20% greater yield. They do whirlpool pettet hop additions for the rest of the beer, I am not positive about the whirlpool hop additions but I'd say Citra, Centennial, and CTZ are fairly prominent in the enjoy by with maybe some Amarillo. Stone also uses a house strain of yeast similar to WPL007 and ferment at 72ºF. Stone is fairly open about their recipes, except Arrogant bastard so Im sure their is a recipe for an enjoy by clone out there.
Thanks! Golden promise! On stone own blog the hops are revealed. What other specialty malt and adjuncts do they use? I've seen sugar, Munich and C-15 as possibles. I liked it (the enjoy by beer) quite a bit. I'm going to attempt a clone for my next or second next (dunno what that means) brew. I tried an AB clone and had heard wlp007 was a good yeast to use for emulation, so was planning that here as well Thanks again! TD

Old 11-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #15
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Also,

wondering if I end up doing a 12 gallon batch, to wind up with two full cornys, AND if I want to use HopShot extract, boiling for 90 minutes and adding 20 ml (four syringe fulls), the FAQ estimates 100 IBU added for 10ml into 5 gallons.

ANyone have any experience using this stuff?

TD

Old 11-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #16
Bsquared

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Just to be a jerk... At the Costco in San Diego, this was at The Morena location incase anyone in SD is interested.

img_2753.jpg

Old 11-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #17
Cbaddad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Yeah, Carlsbad Costco had a ton too earlier this week. Picked up a couple. Good stuff.

Stone blog lists all hops etc... Super Galena is the extract, plus there is a mash hop.

Stone Enjoy By IPA
Stats: 9.4% abv, 88 IBUs
Hops bill: Calypso during the mash; Super Galena hop extract for bittering; Simcoe, Delta, Target, and Amarillo for flavor; Motueka, Citra, and Cascade for aroma; Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy for dry hopping

Drink now or forever hold your peace

Old 11-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #18
wingedcoyote
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurfinUSA View Post
I've tried "Enjoy by", I like "Enjoy by", but I'm unwilling to play games to get it in North Carolina. Exclusivity marketing has a long history but let's face it, it's just a good beer. I plan on brewing my own from a Bertus brewery recipe and not obsess about it.
If you're near Raleigh I've seen it on tap at the Village Draft House and I think World of Beer, and bottles at Bottle Revolution.

Though I'll admit, when I tried it at the Draft House I thought it was very good but didn't change my life. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it had lost some aroma since leaving home base

Fermenting: Uwharrie Mountain Mead
Conditioning: RBC Hidden Pipe Clone, Naked Red
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein, Motueka Wheat, VIP ESB

Old 11-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #19
Bsquared

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

From the Blog post,

Quote:
Hopping, as might be expected, was over the top. First, the brew was mash hopped with Calypso, a beautiful fruity hop that we also used in our Stone 16th Anniversary IPA, after which we kettle hopped with a very small dose of Super Galena hop extract for bittering. Then, using a technique I’ve that some ine homebrew circles call “hop bursting,” we loaded up very heavily on the flavor hops at the end of the boil and in the whirlpool. Simcoe, Delta, Target and Amarillo were used in the late kettle hop. Motueka, Citra, and Cascade were used for the whirlpool hop. As you can clearly tell, this beer was super hoppy even before we dry-hopped it, but then we went for it…dry-hopping with 1lb per barrel EACH of New Zealand Nelson Sauvin and Australian Galaxy.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #20
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Yep! They spill the beans on this one!

For those who've not tasted, it is reminiscent of opening a small mylar pouch of hops. Then think about pouring beer into the pouch and drinking from the pouch.

Hop-tensity is the most extreme I've ever tasted. I tried dispensing an IIPA through the Blichmann Hop Rocket filled (3oz) with columbus hops (Cascade or Centennial would've been better) and the Stone was MORE intense and enjoyable. The Hop Rocket trick was just too much columbus flavor to enjoy for my tastes anyway...

TD

Quick Reply