Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Stone "drink by" IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
ArrogantDusty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default Stone "drink by" IPA

Has anyone had this yet?

I hope it comes to St Louis soon!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
Biohazard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I had the last batch which was Enjoy by 9.21.12 I think the next batch is Enjoy by 11.09.12. Dont know if you will get it out there, they seem to be only sending it to select markets. It was really tasty, a lot like their 16th anniversary minus the extreme citrus flavors.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
BillBeer247
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i found it be overrated, good beer but not worth the price

Old 11-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I tried this last week, the November dated version. I was told all late hopped, with 11 varieties. The enjoy by date was 6 weeks after brew day. I had it at about 3 1/2 weeks I think, not exactly sure.

It was pretty amazing. Extreme to be sure, but it seems like if you want to re create the taste, just drink beer one oz at a time from the little Mylar hop pouches! It was off the charts hoppy, but not in a bad way. Like nothing I've ever tasted, to the extreme.

I tasted it right at the brewery. It's got me wanting to invest in a filtration system so I can do my own version.

I hear that they are regulating the distribution such that they can spread it around so more folks can try it, rather than just sell to same markets repeatedly, since its in limited supply.

I'd like to hear more about what hops y'all think its got, and how to do a brew it yourself version.

TD

Old 11-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
Beer-lord

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 23

This year I've had the April, July, October and plan on 'enjoying' the 12.13.13 when it hits my area in the next 2 weeks.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #6
Bsquared

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I've had all the enjoy by releases so far, don't hate me because I live in SD, so its not as difficult to come by. For the most part they have been all similar beers, but the second batch I tastes was a little over the top with the Cat pee/dank hop flavor and aroma. Stone really seems to be trying to make this beer fairly often and get a wider distribution. If you get a chance to try some definitely try it. I think it really is a good example of the San Diego style IIPA and for that matter the San Diego IPA. Its a dry clean beer with an up front american hop character, but is really showcasing the west coast preference for the dank, catty, citrus, pine and resinous hop varieties. The ABV is around 9% and it really sneaks up on you, definitely split the 22, or don't plan on going anywhere after you drink it.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
Beer-lord

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I spoke with Greg Kock a month or so ago when he was in New Orleans at a local pub and asked him if the recipe was the same for every batch. He quickly said yes. But I have to agree that some have tasted slightly different from others. All have been good to me as I like this style very much.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #8
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 492 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBeer247 View Post
i found it be overrated, good beer but not worth the price
Comments like this are almost 100% from the other side of the country. Same with people who say this about Bells/Alchemist/Cigar City too. Almost always west coasters. Not faulting anyone, 'cept maybe the beer handlers...somewhere along the line, beers that should be stored cold are subjected to light and temps that are not conducive to beer preservation. It's the downside of craft beer over big beer. Pasteurization takes out a lot of the variability we see in these great craft beers from one side of the country to the other..../rambling

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 103 batches and counting (as of 11/11/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
MTate37
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 7

DO NOT...I repeat...DO NOT drink a 2 L growler of Enjoy By by yourself in one sitting. It will ruin your lunch at Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens the following day and you probably won't enjoy the tour as much as you should. The samples after the tour, however, will perk you up a little bit.

It is an outstanding beer. I look forward to the day that Stone deems Alabama worthy of distribution of this beer.

Untappd: mtate37 - Untappd Wishlist

Old 11-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #10
Bsquared

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Tricky dick, I was in a class taught by Mich Steele this summer, and according to him they are using hop extract for bittering and the base malt for the beer is golden promise. The use of extract gives them (i think) ~20% greater yield. They do whirlpool pettet hop additions for the rest of the beer, I am not positive about the whirlpool hop additions but I'd say Citra, Centennial, and CTZ are fairly prominent in the enjoy by with maybe some Amarillo. Stone also uses a house strain of yeast similar to WPL007 and ferment at 72ºF. Stone is fairly open about their recipes, except Arrogant bastard so Im sure their is a recipe for an enjoy by clone out there.

Quick Reply