Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Sticker shock: $56 six pack!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2007, 05:34 PM   #11
Beerrific
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
On my recent expidition to DC/MD/VA, I was able to sample both the DFH 90 and Pliny for the first time. The latter isn't a BAD beer, IMHO, but it's far, far, far more sweet than an IPA should be. In the historical context, it hardly makes sense to even call it an IPA, those brews were designed to be very dry so there would not be many residual sugars to spoil (it wasn't JUST about the hops).

I'm not sure if it's a matter of being under-attenuated, or simply how much malt the use, but every DFH beer I've had has been way on the sweet side.

Pliny, OTOH, is an absolutely perfect example of a BIG beer that is attenuated fully and extremely drinkable (well, if you like hops).
I almost can't drink DFH 90 becuase of how sweet it is. 60 is better in that respect.

I am making a trip to Cali the first week in August and I am determined to find this Pliny character and give him a good talking to...and maybe bring some back if I can.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2007, 09:26 PM   #12
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific
I almost can't drink DFH 90 becuase of how sweet it is. 60 is better in that respect.
Really? I feel the exact opposite. I drink the 90, but the 60 seems too sweet. I have been to the DFH brewpub, and had the 90 throught the Randall, that is pretty good stuff. The Shelter Pale is pretty good stuff, but has limited distrobution. Same with the black and blue ale.

FWIW, I can get 120 for around $20 5 minutes from my house. I live on the DE border, and there is a beer megastore right outside of Wilmington.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:27 PM   #13
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclesamskid
Where did you find Pliny?
If you are ever in PA, you can usually get Pliney at Kunda Beverage in King of Prussia.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:35 PM   #14
98EXL

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

I love the DFH 60/90/120 IPA....I want to grow hops next year specifically so I can make a ton of 120 minute clones......I'd rather make my own then spend the money and buy it, although SWMBO and I agree, it's bomb

I'm back!!!

Old 07-24-2007, 09:40 PM   #15
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_PA
If you are ever in PA, you can usually get Pliney at Kunda Beverage in King of Prussia.
1/2bbl Keg only and IIRC the Beer Yard in Wayne, PA also has RR kegs.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:02 PM   #16
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt00l
1/2bbl Keg only and IIRC the Beer Yard in Wayne, PA also has RR kegs.
I thought you could get the bottles there... where the hell am I thinking of then...

Old 07-24-2007, 10:16 PM   #17
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_PA
I thought you could get the bottles there... where the hell am I thinking of then...
I have purchased RR singles over at Capone's in Norristown but I haven't seen any Pliney over the past year or so. Either Kunda or the yard prb has some RR stuff in bottles but I think Pliney has been a keg only thing...idunno

Old 07-24-2007, 10:29 PM   #18
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

I agree that $10 is a mighty high price for a beer compared to BMC, but it isn't just a beer and I imagine/hope that a growth market for beer will be this high gravity, high quality beers. It is a whole area of beer that has not been readily available to the general public. But if you think that is costly, what about the Sam Adams Eutopia for crying out load?! What is it, something like $100 a bottle? But it is unlike any other beer I have ever had and in a world of $300 Scotch, why not?

Besides, this premium market might be a nice spot for a little guy to get in and make a nice living.

The great thing as private brewers is we can make them ourselves, or our own variation! It is a bit like Brewtopia's barrel. He will have a huge amount of time and energy invested in that beer by the time he gets some in a glass.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:49 PM   #19
gonzoflick

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I can get 120 here for $10 when its available. $14 at the local beer bar

On tap: NOTHING

Old 07-30-2007, 04:15 PM   #20
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts

We've got it at our shop for $8. Given how much malt and hops go into making something like it, the price tag doesn't surprise me. I've had the brew exactly once...SWMBO and I did a horizontal DFH ale tasting. Shelter-60-Aprihop-90-120. The difference between the 90 and the 120 was tenfold what the difference was between the others. Good beer, but, yeah, definitely a sweet brew. Though, if it wasn't for that sweetness, I do believe that all you'd taste/smell is the 20%+ ABV. So you can't fault them for that.

The 60 used to be one of my favorites, but as my palate has evolved, I've shied away from it. I still love the 90 minute...don't find it too sweet at all. Less-than-bone-dry IPA's certainly have their place, and I don't really find fault with them.

The price tag is also not that insane in the context of other beers around the world. Trappists regularly cost $7-10 for a 10oz btl. Deus Brut runs in the 20's for a 750mL. Certain aged Cantillon Gueze's and Lambics are $30 easily. Avery's "Beast" series or whatever they call it, has 12oz'ers going for $8/btl or so.

Not everyday stuff, but I don't think it was ever intended for such. At the end of the day, in terms of exorbitant prices, the beer world still has the wine world whipped by a long shot. You can still get a bottle of the best beer in the world for under $10, which is not that much more than "normal" beer. Try that in the wine world. See how much a bottle of Petrus or DRC Romanee Conti costs you. Go beer!

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply