Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > The Standard EPA, IPA, or Lager

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
Cromacster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default The Standard EPA, IPA, or Lager

Why is it that every brewery, Brewpub, microbrewery, etc etc always have a EPA, IPA, or some Lager as their poster child?

Now my knowledge base is somewhat limited to the MN craft beer and other craft brews that are sold more widely, but almost all breweries, that I know of, has one of these styles as their flagship.

Is it just because of the drinkability of these styles? I'd like to find a brewery that does not push one of these more mainstream styles as their main beer. Although I suppose if the market demands....

Please leave your thoughts and examples! (please don't mention Blue Moon)

Bottled: Strawberry Blonde Ale, Bourbon Barrel Porter, California Lager, Lakefront Fixed Gear, Surly Bender Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
EllisTX
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 8

New Republic Brewing | In With The New — Independent Microbrewing in Aggieland, TX

These guys have been around for about a year now. An English style amber with American hops and a Dunkelweizen.

"La La La Lo Lo Lo Luuuke, Luuuke, I am your father, Lo Lo Lo Lu Lu Lu"- Chris Farley

Old 01-04-2012, 12:18 AM   #3
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

I'd guess it's because lagers are most accessible to people new/seldom visiting craft breweries and those pale ales are popular among craft drinkers. Definitely not true of all breweries. Left Hand comes to mind as a brewery that does none of the above. It's flagship is Milk Stout and before that it was Sawtooth ESB.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
PollardsVision
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think you could include North Coast, New Belgium, and Anchor in this category.

It makes perfect sense though. IPA's and APA's (more and more the former) drive the craft beer market.
APA's appeal to a wide consumer base and IPA's are go the go-to as more and more people become hopheads.

Honestly, I think it's pretty amazing that some small breweries can actually thrive without a flagship IPA or APA.

Quick Reply