Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Sour beers - where do I start?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2008, 05:10 PM   #21
Soulive
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01 View Post
Cool deal. I was just kind of giving a general "kind of tastes like" thing with the Shrub idea. I guess all in all though, you'd only be out some clams (I can only get these types of singles one place and they are quite costly) so nothing ventured...nothing gained .
I don't mind the money. I like spending on experiential things rather than material things. Regardless of my reaction, its more beer knowledge...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2008, 05:15 PM   #22
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 932 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Grand Cru is a bit too much for me. IIRC, it's basically the red with more sour blended in. The Cru makes a Berlinner Wiesse taste like BMC.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-17-2008, 05:28 PM   #23
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Actual Berliner Weisse is very sour to the point where they add fruit syrups to make them like a fruit lambic. Unfortionatly the stuff we have get over here is about .1 as sour as the real thing.

Back to topic Rodenbach and especially the Grand Cru are great beers. The Duchesse de Borgorgne is a good beer. If you want something without the oakiness try Liefman's Goudenbond which is a Flander's Brown.

When going to the lambic I agree with what was said before if you want a fruit lambic don't go with Lindeman's. But their Cuvee Rene is actually very good. Cantillon comma Hansen's and Boon's all make very good lambics. Cantillon is the only unblended lambic we can get over here and this one I really injoyed.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:32 PM   #24
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks for the info everyone. Now two questions; what should I be looking for when tasting and which cheese goes best with these beers? I'm guessing some funky/infected...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Old 06-17-2008, 06:36 PM   #25
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I can't stand the Lindenmann's fruit "lambics". They taste like bad koolaid to me. However the Cuvee Rene is very good. I just had one the other night.
Rodenbach seems to be something that is not hard to find. Red is pretty good but I prefer the more sour and less fruity Grand Cru.

These are the only sour beers i have found so far but I have been intrigued enough to brew my own. For father's day I brewed a sorta flander's red that I pitched with the Roselare blend from Wyeast. I let you know how it tastes in 6months to a year.

Craig

Old 06-17-2008, 06:41 PM   #26
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulive View Post
Thanks for the info everyone. Now two questions; what should I be looking for when tasting and which cheese goes best with these beers? I'm guessing some funky/infected...
Depends on what you get but you can approach it like any other style...do a bit of research and then evaluate your sample at the optimal temp with your senses. Overall, enjoy the ride into new territory. The cheese thing can be a bit subjective but I pref something a bit uncomplicated when I am sipping on something already funky and complex on it's own. I have to say I love the reaction of people's faces when they first get a whiff of some of the more barnyardy examples...reminds me of my first funk-a-fied brew.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:39 AM   #27
GloHoppa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just mentioned in another thread we have a red ale "soured" with brett on tap at our Boston brewery. (Harpoon ftw!!)

Furthermore, we actually came up with the idea to make our Raspberry UFO when we brewed a Framboise in our 100 barrel series...cool story

Primary: (empty)
Carboy: Apfelwein, aged 11 mo
Mr. Beer: (empty)
Bottled/Conditioning: (empty)

Planning: Belgian Pale Ale, Hop Harvest Ale

Old 06-18-2008, 05:33 AM   #28
BakerStreetBeers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've tried several belgian and belgian-style sour beers recently. I have always enjoyed the lindemans fruit beers, but as mentioned they're pretty un-beer-like. But I recently had a bottle of their gueze cuvee and was blown away.

I also recently had the chance to try the Duchess on tap. Definitely an experience, an incredibly lively beer. It would be a great way to end every evening of drinking . . . probably following the apfelwein, though this may be debatable.

I'm fortunate to live a few miles from Russian River and have tried a few of their offerings. Very good and interesting are the operative words for my experiences so far, but I am determined to press on until I "get it".

I also have a bottle of Ommegeddon in my fridge. Going to bust into that one soon I'm sure. I really enjoyed the Witte and the Hennepin that I bought at the same time.

On Tap: Dunkelweizen, Strong Irish Red
On Deck: Agave Wit, DC's RyePA, Belgian Blonde

"Ale man, ale's the stuff to drink / For fellows whom it hurts to think."
- Housman

Old 06-18-2008, 11:56 AM   #29
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Yesterday I bought the Monk's Red and the Cantillon Rosé. I only got to try the Monk's but man was it different. I didn't love or hate it, but it was definitely new to my palate. The most notable aspect was the tart, almost vinegary mouthfeel. While I was drinking it, I kept thinking it was asking for fruit. I think I'll like the Cantillon for that reason...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Old 06-18-2008, 06:53 PM   #30
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No one mentioned Jolly Pumpkin yet. they are another american brewery that has some decent sours. Try the La Roja, it is pretty tasty.

Quick Reply