Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Commercial Brew Discussion (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f5/)
-   -   Sour beers - where do I start? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f5/sour-beers-where-do-i-start-69464/)

Soulive 06-17-2008 03:57 PM

Sour beers - where do I start?
 
After hearing about sour/infected beers over the past year or so, I'm looking to try some. I'm a noob with this style(s), so can you guys recommend some starting points?

San_Diego_Matt 06-17-2008 04:01 PM

you could just jump in and go with any of the Cantillon beers from Belgium


start with the Lou Peppe Kreik

Soulive 06-17-2008 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt_and_Katie (Post 716563)
you could just jump in and go with any of the Cantillon beers from Belgium


start with the Lou Peppe Kreik

So the Kreik style is sour?

findthefish 06-17-2008 04:06 PM

Rodenbach is well known and a decent sour. They have a classic Red and a Grand Cru, the Grand Cru is really good. I really like Duchesse de Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe.

Evan! 06-17-2008 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulive (Post 716565)
So the Kreik style is sour?

Kreik is Lambic with cherries. Famboise is Lambic with raspberries. Geueze is unfruited lambic.

I suggest starting with Lindemans, as it's the easiest to find...though they use fruit juice concentrate and aren't as authentic...and they're a little too sweet and fruity for my tastes.

Past that, go with my all-time favorite, Hanssen's. Their kreik is the JOINT!!!! Also try the Geueze. Anything by Cantillon is amazing too. Also try some flanders red styles. Monk's sour is awesome. Rodenbach is delicious, and Rodenbach Grand Cru is even better, I think.

Soulive 06-17-2008 04:09 PM

I know where I can get Cantillon and Rodenbach. I definitely have access to Lindeman's but I want the authentic stuff. Are there any American versions?

findthefish 06-17-2008 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan! (Post 716576)
Kreik is Lambic with cherries. Famboise is Lambic with raspberries. Geueze is unblended lambic.

Gueuze is blended young and aged Lambic.

Soulive 06-17-2008 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by findthefish (Post 716585)
Gueuze is blended young and aged Lambic.

I think Evan! meant unfruited Lambic...

findthefish 06-17-2008 04:14 PM

I know Russian River Brewing Co. in Santa Rosa, CA has three soured barrel aged beers called Temptation, Supplication, and Beatification. Not sure you can get them out there, but there are some good sour beers coming out of American craft breweries.

Soulive 06-17-2008 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by findthefish (Post 716589)
I know Russian River Brewing Co. in Santa Rosa, CA has three soured barrel aged beers called Temptation, Supplication, and Beatification. Not sure you can get them out there, but there are some good sour beers coming out of American craft breweries.

Thanks, I have heard of them but didn't realize they were soured. I have a 750ml of Ommegeddon which has Brett in it. I haven't tasted it yet though...


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:12 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.