Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Skunked Saison Dupont?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 11:34 PM   #1
Edcculus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

Default Skunked Saison Dupont?

While shopping at the local health food store (Earth Fare) I noticed they had Saison Dupont and Hennepin. Since I've never tried the saison style before, I decided to pick up both. While cooking dinner, I popped the Dupont. My first impression was that it was a very tasty beer and stood up to the taste descriptions I've read about the style. After a few more sips I started registering a skunk-ish taste/smell. I thought, maybe its supposed to be like that. Since this beer is so highly acclaimed, I drank 2 glasses.

To make sure I wasn't crazy, I opened the Hennepin. No detection of skunkiness here. Crisp, dry and spicy.

Has anyone come across a skunked Saison Dupont? It comes in a green bottle, which is the reason I'm suspecting UV damage. This is nowhere near as bad as the Old Speckled Hen I had a few months ago(clear bottle ).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2008, 11:37 PM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 621 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 56

The only one I ever had wasn't skunked at all. I'm guessing you got a bad bottle. Whenever I'm buying beer in green bottles, I always reach to the back/bottom of the display.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:40 PM   #3
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The other question I'd have is that if it tasted fine when you started drinking it, were you anywhere near sunlight? Putting your beer in direct sun can skunk beer in less than a minute. I'm assuming you just got a bad bottle, but the potential to have your beer skunk in the glass is there too.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:51 PM   #4
Edcculus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
The other question I'd have is that if it tasted fine when you started drinking it, were you anywhere near sunlight? Putting your beer in direct sun can skunk beer in less than a minute. I'm assuming you just got a bad bottle, but the potential to have your beer skunk in the glass is there too.
I was drinking it around 5:00 inside, so the sun was on the other side of the house. No chance of glass skunking. I did grab from the front of the display. Probably a bad idea. It was sitting in your usual chilled grocery store beer display. I am always afraid of buying from the same retailer when I get a bad bottle.

In other good news, I just saw Old Speckled Hen in one of those nitro widget cans at my grocery store. No chance of skunking there!!!

I ceases to amaze me that breweries still bottle in green or clear bottles when they KNOW light damages beer.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:59 PM   #5
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Lots of belgians bottle in green glass and luckily I've never had a skunked Dupont. That siad, if you have one skunked bottle from a place, there's a chance they have poor beer handling practices and you should definitely be wary of the rest of their beer.

I am sad for you though. It is such a good beer.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:08 AM   #6
Edcculus
Recipes 

I'm probably going to try one more from them (from the back of the case). If its not good, I'll have to stick with the Hennepin. As far as I can tell, Hennepin tastes very much like the Dupont I had without the skunk.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:27 AM   #7
randomsample
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sorry for thread necromancing, but I just got a bottle of this and the first thing I noticed was that it smelled like Heineken

I've never had the style before, so I was pretty disappointed; especially at $4.25 a bottle.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:55 AM   #8
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Very common IME.

Grab from the back of the shelf or seek out the (new in my area) 33 cl brown bottles in a 4 pack. If you are friendly with your beer purveyor, try to buy them right out of the case box (you may need to wait for the next case to come in).

Old 08-26-2010, 02:00 AM   #9
Edcculus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
Very common IME.
or seek out the (new in my area) 33 cl brown bottles in a 4 pack.
New to my area too. I think this is the best way to solve the problem that I can come up with. A mighty fine beer when its not skunked.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:19 AM   #10
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Location: Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah Chahles.
Liked 289 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I believe that skunkiness is a part of the Dupont Saison. I'm pretty sure I read that in Farmhouse Ales recently and it struck a memory chord with me. I haven't had one in a while (4-5 months) so I might be mistaken but I don't think so.

PTN

Quick Reply