Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > sierra nevada pale ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2007, 08:23 PM   #1
FEARDIZ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default sierra nevada pale ale

So in my quest to find some new beer's to make and drink, I tried sierra nevada pale ale, didn't care for it.. seems too.. I think bitter is how I'd describe, not sour really but defently not sweet and makes you more thirsty ..

so are all pale ales, pretty much the same? what other types of beer should I stay away from? I see on the sierra web site that the bitterness units are 37, should I stay away from others with this high bitterness units?

thanks
John

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2007, 08:30 PM   #2
Neomich
Recipes 

If you're not really into bitter beers, stay away from IPA's (India Pale Ale) as well. Those have a ton of hops.

Keep trying other beers though, you never know what you might come across that you like.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."

-Frank Zappa

Old 11-09-2007, 08:37 PM   #3
Tankard
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEARDIZ
So in my quest to find some new beer's to make and drink, I tried sierra nevada pale ale, didn't care for it.. seems too.. I think bitter is how I'd describe, not sour really but defently not sweet and makes you more thirsty ..

so are all pale ales, pretty much the same? what other types of beer should I stay away from? I see on the sierra web site that the bitterness units are 37, should I stay away from others with this high bitterness units?

thanks
John
I love SNPA. It is the beer my first batch of homebrew was patterned after.

That being said, it is a very hoppy beer. Sounds like you aren't really a fan of hoppy beers. If you prefer malty beers, I'd stick with porters, stouts, and lagers. Most ales are on the hoppy side, if I'm not mistaken (and I very well could be, I'm still a beer n00b as well).

Old 11-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Hmmm, I think SNPA is an easy drinking beer. I guess that shows different tastes!

If you think pale ales may be too bitter, how do you feel about something like Newcastle, or Rogue's Dead Guy, or Goose Island's Honker's Ale? Those are flavorful (well, Newcastle not so much ) but not bitter and you can get an idea of what you might like.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:39 PM   #5
FEARDIZ
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I tried some Fat Tire the other day, and was good. I got a 6er to give it a test drive..

Old 11-09-2007, 09:35 PM   #7
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEARDIZ

thanks
John
Not all pale ales are the same. Some, like Sierra Nevada are assertive in their bittering. Others are balanced more to the malty side. You made a good observation with the IBUs, but it's also a matter of ratio to the amount of malt. A normal gravity beer with 37 IBUs will be bitter, while a high gravity beer, say around 8% ABV will taste sweet with the same IBU level. Someone around here has a chart showing gravity, IBUs, and how the flavors are perceived...
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 11-09-2007, 09:53 PM   #8
Hermish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I know most people love SNPA, but I really don't like it either. It is kind of hard to describe, but it must be the hops that I don't like. I have had their Brown ale, and don't like it at all either. BUT I love the celebration ale.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:56 PM   #9
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 572 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 208

If you like a low hopped beer, try a Belgian Blonde or even a Wit.

An ESB will have a relatively high IBU, but will also be much more malty so the bitterness is not as evident.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 11-09-2007, 10:00 PM   #10
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I found the link and in referance to the previous poster, he's where I got it. Thanks BM!

http://www.brewsupplies.com/hops-gravity.htm

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Quick Reply