Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2006, 09:23 PM   #1
TREMBLE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

I always like to try new beers and keep an eye to the beer sections anytime I go shopping (I am Irish but currently based in Scotland.) At the weekend I saw a new beer in my local super market, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I had never seen it before so grabbed a bottle to try it, I have to say this is one of the nicest beers I have tried in a long time!

Is this a big brewery in America? I had not heard of them before and I am guessing as they bottle condition they are not going to be as main stream. Was just curious how this beer is viewed on its own side of the pond.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2006, 09:30 PM   #2
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

That is an America classic, one of the grandaddies of the micro revolution.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:47 PM   #3
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Yep, liquid gold.

Be sure to try Celebration Ale in a few months, when it getrs released. Another Sierra Nevada classic.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 09-19-2006, 09:48 PM   #4
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 148

They've been around since 1981 states their web site. http://www.sierranevada.com/ It is a very nice ale. They keep in line with being a micro but I hope their growth in popularity and distribution doesn't destroy their product quality. Some big corp will probably make them an offer they can't refuse eventually and destroy their product! Bah, corporate greed.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:11 PM   #5
myersn024
Recipes 

I had some SNPA for the first time about a month ago. At first I was a little overwhelmed by the hop aroma and flavor, but after a couple I really developed a taste for it. Its probably my favorite store bought brew right now.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:26 PM   #6
TREMBLE
Recipes 

I really like a hoppy flavour, I just hope I can get this again and it was not at the shop as a one off, it certainly is not a known brand over here, I asked about at work and no one else had even heard of it! Considering some of the alcoholics I work with that really says something!

Old 09-20-2006, 11:03 PM   #7
Learnin2Brew
Recipes 

This is one of my all time faves. Excellent hop aroma and flavor. This is always available in bottles and on tap where I live. (phoenix AZ). Celebration Ale is great as well.

Old 10-05-2006, 04:01 AM   #8
Aaron L.
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREMBLE
I always like to try new beers and keep an eye to the beer sections anytime I go shopping (I am Irish but currently based in Scotland.) At the weekend I saw a new beer in my local super market, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I had never seen it before so grabbed a bottle to try it, I have to say this is one of the nicest beers I have tried in a long time!

Is this a big brewery in America? I had not heard of them before and I am guessing as they bottle condition they are not going to be as main stream. Was just curious how this beer is viewed on its own side of the pond.

Probably the most popular 'micro' around here, although as stated they've realy graduated to 'craft' status due to volume production. My buddys and I have consumed enough SNPA between us that we should own stock in the company (if they ever went public)!!!

Realy a good beer for its price/availablility. I have noticed lately that the batch to batch consistancy is starting to lack a bit in the hop department. Some batches are great, and others tend to push the hop envelope for me. I'm not a major hop-head however. The incosistancy could be more of a distribution/freshness issue I guess...

Yet another hobby...Just what I need!!!

Old 10-05-2006, 12:53 PM   #9
God Emporer BillyBrew

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I'm also a huge fan. Nice thing is that it's a great beer that is available almost everywhere in the US. I keep a keg full of it's clone if at all possible.

---------------------------------------------------
Desert Planet Brewing Co.

Primary :Bloody Nose Porter
Primary 2: Bloody Nose Porter
Secondary: Blackberry Melomel
Secondary 2:air
Bottled : 14 Pound Hammer Cider, Punkin Ale, know ale, Domino wheat
Keg 1: **** Inside Her
Keg 2: IPA
Keg 3: one on a weeknight, two on a weekend IIPA
Future : Ginger Cream Ale,

Old 10-06-2006, 07:22 AM   #10
Brew Dad
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Ah-Sierra Nevada Brewery!

They do indeed make delicious beers. I'm a bit biased though, as they are one of my local breweries (Butte Creek Brewery being the other). My homebrew club meets there every month and afterward we go down to the pub for a pint or two. Tonight, after the meeting, I had a pint of their Kolsch and a pint of their Octoberfest. Two very tasty brews. I think there is something like 18 beers on tap that you can't get anywhere except in the pub.

I recently read, in the local paper I think, that Sierra Nevada is the
8th largest brewery in the US in terms of production, sales, distribution, etc. but the gap between the 7th and the 8th is huge!! Someone at the meeting tonight told me that one of the big corporations recently did make an offer to buy Sierra Nevada but they were turned down and I'm pretty sure they would never sell out.
Ken Grossman, who owns Sierra Nevada, started out as a homebrewer in his garage back in the 70's and early 80's. Man, what a kick-ass success story!

It's funny, around here Sierra Nevada beers are so common that whenever there is a local brewfest type event, people here skip the SN beers and go for the other brewers stuff.

Ok, I'm just rambling, but if you ever get to Chico, CA you know where you gotta go...

Quick Reply