The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Sierra Nevada Hoptimum... how good is it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2013, 11:19 PM   #11
r2eng
IPA - it's all about the burps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would ask you - what IPA's do you like? I, and I am sure others, can compare/contrast for you. I totally love IPA's, but Hoptimum is not really on my regular buy list. There are many other, better, IPA's out there. For example, I LOVE Ballast Point Big Eye IPA ($8 a 6-er), but Sculpin is kinda' meh ($13 a 6-er).

What IPA's do you really like?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2013, 02:00 AM   #12
rockytop714
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I like all kinds, really. I know that that probably sounds like I'm avoiding the question with a lackluster answer, but I like to switch it up. I have always liked trying different things. For the last two years or so, IPAs have definitely been my favorite style but, as we all know, and as you already mentioned, all IPAs are not the same.

I will say, though, that the more "balanced" an IPA is, the less I seem to like it. I definitely prefer them to be much more hop forward and, in that, I like big citrus notes, tropical fruit, pine, and "dank" hop flavors. I don't mind a floral, spicy, or herbal IPA, but they aren't really what I prefer.

Some of my favorites that I've had in recent history are Firestone Walker Double Jack, Bear Republic Racer 5, Schlafly's TIPA, Bells Hopslam, Founders Double Trouble, Green Flash Palate Wrecker, Troegs Nugget Nectar (though they don't call it an IPA), Southern Tier 2XIPA, New Belgium Rampant...

I could keep going, but I'll stop here. haha...

Old 07-24-2013, 02:06 AM   #13
r2eng
IPA - it's all about the burps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That really helps, thanks!

Of those you mentioned, Firestone Walker Double Jack, Bear Republic Racer 5, Bells Hopslam, and Green Flash Palate Wrecker are amongst my favorites. Hoptimum really isn't in the same class, IMHO. Buy one or two, or trade for some. Avoid a case, IMHO.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:26 AM   #14
rockytop714
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

thanks a lot!

Old 07-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #15
jglazer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Hoptimum was way too bitter for me, and I LOVE IPAs/DIPAs, but I love the ones that burst with flavor and aroma, and Hoptimum was surprisingly lacking in those compared to how aggressively bitter it was (IMO of course).

Old 07-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #16
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

When it came out 3 years ago I thought it was amazing, but the last two batches have been pretty meh to me. Chico is just down the hill from me, so I can get it as fresh as possible right from the brewery. As much I love Sierra Nevada, I don't really buy a whole lot of their beer anymore. When I do it's usually their seasonals. Now when Ruthless Rye and Celebration come out, definitely buy it by the case.

Kegged:DIPA,Pumpkin Stout,,Munich Helles, Chinook/Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo IPA

Bottled: Blackberry Mead
Primary #1:Mosaic IPA
Primary #2:
Secondary:
On Deck:APA,RIS,AB Clone

Old 07-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #17
rockytop714
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm not a big "seasonal" guy, but I'm a big fan of SN's seasonals. Summerfest is good but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it. Tumbler, Celebration, and Ruthless Rye, however, are outstanding. I'm looking forward to grabbing a case of Tumbler soon.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:00 AM   #18
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Love me some Summerfest, I think it's one of their best beers. Tumbler not so much, but I'll have to give it a go again this year. My palate has changed a lot in the last couple of years.

Primary #2:
Secondary:

Old 07-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #19
rockytop714
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I think my thing with Summerfest is that I've been so focused on IPAs over the last few years, and Imperial Stouts, in the late fall/winter, that I've gotten used to very assertive flavors in beer and beers that are a little more subtle, don't seem to register as high.

I've been working on that, though; trying to back off of the IPAs a little and try some other things. So I'll have to give Summerfest a try again, sometime soon. I thought it was a very good summer thirst quencher, it just wasn't something that really jumped out at me the last time I had it.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #20
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

I hear ya, I went through that phase a while back. Always having huge IIPA's and Barleywines. The lighter styles just didn't register on my palate anymore. I went through a BJCP class a couple of years ago, and got re-acquainted with some really great styles of beer. Mostly German style beers.

Primary #2:
Secondary:

rockytop714 Likes This 

Quick Reply