New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Sierra Nevada ESB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2008, 06:23 PM   #1
Beeropolis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Sierra Nevada ESB

Anyone try this? Found this on the shelf last night. I was excited to try it especially after the last seasonal of SN's I had--Celebration Ale. Pretty good stuff. I still have yet to be disappointed by SN.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
chione
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeropolis
Anyone try this? Found this on the shelf last night. I was excited to try it especially after the last seasonal of SN's I had--Celebration Ale. Pretty good stuff. I still have yet to be disappointed by SN.

Yes it is very good, picked a 6 pack and Bev Mo and LOVE it. Way better than Red Hook.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:29 PM   #3
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

This was the only time I've been dissapointed with Sierra Nevada. As a caveat however, I'm not saying this is a terrible beer, quite the opposite, it's a very drinkable beer. The problem I had is it's kind of dull. Sierra Nevada is all about hops and balanced malts, and this was a very light, less flavorful, and less hoppy beer than I'm used to from them. Perhaps this is their attempt at getting into the BMC market? Or is the hop shortage finally hitting the big guys of craft brewing? I'm not sure what happened here, particuarlly after their Celebration, which next to DFH 60 minute and Nevada's own Anniversary Ale, is one of my favorites. I guess nothing ventured nothing gained, but I'm going to see if there's any more Celebration on my liquor store shelves...

mike

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Old 01-20-2008, 09:45 PM   #4
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I agree, it's not bad at all, but I actually think Red Hook has a fuller flavor. Not so sure about why they wrote "Early Spring Beer" on the label either...that could be misleading to the uninitiated as to what ESB stands for.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:42 PM   #5
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve
I agree, it's not bad at all, but I actually think Red Hook has a fuller flavor. Not so sure about why they wrote "Early Spring Beer" on the label either...that could be misleading to the uninitiated as to what ESB stands for.
Because Extra Special BITTER drives off the uninitiated. I've spoken to vendors who demo beer and wine and they say saying bitter turns people off. I saw people buying IPA's because they did not want a bitter beer.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:50 PM   #6
chione
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve
The red hook I have been getting lately is BORING on the other hand the SN was nice and bitter with good flavor.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:35 AM   #7
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by niquejim
Because Extra Special BITTER drives off the uninitiated. I've spoken to vendors who demo beer and wine and they say saying bitter turns people off. I saw people buying IPA's because they did not want a bitter beer.
Excellent point. Come to think of it, I guess I thought it would be bitter the first time I tried it. I'm drinking the SN ESB now, and I guess it probably does have more hop character than ESB. Still, as far as regular 'ol grocery store beer goes, Red Hook isn't bad

Old 01-21-2008, 07:53 PM   #8
APendejo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I purchased a case of SNPA last Saturday, both the OL and I noticed that this batch seems to be a bit lacking in SN's trademark hoppiness. Almost like the hops had been reused one too many times.
On a brighter note, SN Celebration 2007 is still available at BevMo. Better hurry tho.
AP

Quick Reply