Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > SERIOUSLY Sam Adams

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #11
headbanger
Fast Loud Death
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 688 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 1373

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat
I should try some of their other beers. I picked up a sixer of boston lager once. I drank one bottle and used the rest for slug bait. Horrible, nasty stuff. Their other ones are better than that?
I like Boston lager on tap just fine, from the bottle... Not so much, I can relate to what you're saying for sure, I've encountered some darn funky and terrible SA-BL bottled beer. More than likely it's just really old or poorly stored or both IMO.

All that said, I kind of hate SA a little bit for charging $175 for a bottle of beer. I've never tried it, nor will I ever, but I think that's a pretty crappy way to treat those that enjoy you're product.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #12
h4mmy86
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I definitely enjoy SA, even the Boston Lager! I'm actually kind of surprised to see so many people disapprove of it...

You can bet that if there is a new SA seasonal sampler out, I'm gonna try it!

Old 04-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #13
trujunglist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 104

I too have avoided Sam due to some funky bottles, but that was a while back when I wasn't as... advanced as I am today.

I trust mr. horse, so I'm gonna pick some up next time I'm at the store.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #14
steeldrummerj
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm actually a fan of Boston Lager. It's dependable, and it has flavor. In the northeast at least, I can count on having it on tap 9 times out of 10, and it's an enjoyable beer. Now, that's not to say that it's my favorite, but it's a good beer. They're my go-to case for samplers because of the vast difference in styles they offer.
As for the $175 beer, why would you never try it? And why would you say it's a crappy way to treat their customers? I've got a bottle, and while I won't buy it again, I'm glad I did get it once. It's incredibly unique, and pretty darn good in my opinion. If they decided to start charging that for all of their beers, that'd be crappy, but they did this above and beyond their standard lineup. They've also got some $10-$15 bottles. Personally, I think it's pretty cool that they have beers for everyday, special occasions, and then some for extremely rare occasions.

Bottled:Cream of Three Crops, Tim's Hoppedscotch Ale, Brown Sugar Apfelwein, Exploding Grapefruit IIPA, Nemo's Irish Red, Snowed-In Stout, Sunday Brunch Stout (Pretty sure it's infected....)
People Like This 
Old 04-13-2013, 01:22 AM   #15
edds5p0
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts

I am drinking a Dark Depths Baltic IPA from SA right now and I really like it. As for the Guiness in Ireland, I was there for a couple weeks back in 2006 and I much preferred the flavor of the product over there versus the stuff we buy here. It's not night and day different, but I felt that the beer there was actually less watery and much smoother tasting. It also didn't take too many pints for me to be feeling the effects.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:31 AM   #16
JoeyChopps
Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 188 Posts

I am also a huge SA fan. I do enjoy the Boston lager when the only other choices are generic. However as others have said their IPAs are really good and I mean all of them. But my favorite SA is by far their cream stout. The first beer I ever brewed was a cream stout because of SA

Old 04-13-2013, 01:50 AM   #17
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1643 Times on 1235 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

The whitewater ipa in particular is REALLY good.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:15 AM   #18
h4mmy86
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Oh man, and that IPL!! I wish I had thought to brew one of those!

Old 04-13-2013, 02:24 AM   #19
Yammel
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 on the IPL

Old 04-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #20
trujunglist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by trujunglist View Post
I too have avoided Sam due to some funky bottles, but that was a while back when I wasn't as... advanced as I am today.

I trust mr. horse, so I'm gonna pick some up next time I'm at the store.
Picked up a sixer of SA IPL yesterday. I wanted to get a lager or something of the sort because I was getting mostly IPAs and IIPAs and what not (scored a couple Plinys too; bottled 04/10/13 and freakin' delicious).

It is a really tasty, slightly fruity, but not too heavy beer. It was nice and smooth; a big change from the heavy, (overly?) bitter IPAs I was drinking otherwise.

Glad I listened to mr. horse and tried out some SA. They have a lot of crazy looking limited SA brews there too so I'll be trying out some of those, along with some other sixers, in the near future.

Quick Reply