Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Serious question about evil names on beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
TheLionDragon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Serious question about evil names on beers

What's the relationship between evil names even for Trappist inspired beers that some breweries name their beers? I thought I read something like they used these kind of names to show how a beer was so strong that could be devilish or something like that. Is there a connection between the good and the bad on beers?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
McGarnigle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Here's the story behind Duvel ("devil"). I suspect this is usually the story: alcohol associated (teasingly) with evil. There are also lots of copycat names.

Quote:
To commemorate the end of World War I, the Moortgats named their main beer Victory Ale. But during the 1920s, an avid drinker described the beer as "nen echten duvel" (a real devil in Brabantian Dutch) - perhaps in reference to its formidable alcohol content (8.5% ABV) - and the name of the beer was changed to Duvel.

Quick Reply