New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Scored some McMenamins

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2007, 04:06 PM   #1
Schlenkerla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Scored some McMenamins

I had a co-worker think of me when he went to visit one of our mfg plants in Portland

He grabbed 4 -22 oz beers at this insane asylum turned brewery.

McMenamins

1. Ruby Ale
  2. Terminator Stout
  3. Sunflower IPA
  4. Hammer Head

Have any of you tried these?

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2007, 04:23 PM   #2
Brewtopia
"Greenwood Aged Beer"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

I've had them all. They have 50-60 properties throughout Western Oregon and Washington and I have a one two blocks from my house. I'm not a huge fan of the Ruby, not that it's bad, just not really my style. Terminator, IPA and Hammerhead can be great. One thing about McMenamin beers is that I've found them to be be inconsistent from brewery to brewery. The Hammerhead at McMenamins Six Arms by my house is ok but the Hammerhead at the Fulton Pub in Portland is outstanding.

Mike and Brian are pioneers in the Oregon brew scene, opening the first post prohibition brewpub in Oregon, The Hillsdale Pub and Brewery. I have a lot of respect for those guys and have come to know Mike McMenamin fairly well over the last several years. They have some amazing properties, my personal favorite being the Edgefield in Troutdale OR. (This might be the property referenced above as a former insane asylum, it was actually the Multnomomah County Poor Farm originally, transitioning to a nursing home in the 60's and eventually closing in the early 80's. McMenamins purchased it in 1990.) SWMBO and I stay there at least 3 times a year just to escape. Visit their website and you can read about the history of many of these unique locations.

Old 03-24-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Terminator Stout is my favorite, although it can vary. Each McM brews some "chain" brews and some formulated by the brewer. I tend to hit the John Barleycorn branch, just because it is in a good location for meetings. There's another closer to my house in the Oregon Hotel McMinneville, but whenever I'm up there, I go to Golden Valley Brewery.

I've been to 7 or 8 of them.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-25-2007, 02:33 AM   #4
davidr2340
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I've been to a couple of them, but my favorite was the Kennedy School in Portland!!! 35 rooms that used to be classrooms, a movie theater... Very cool atmosphere!!!

The beer was pretty good IMHO...

Primary: Empty
Kegged: Hazelnut Brown Ale / Tipple Twister Barleywine

Quick Reply