Samuel Smith Stingo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadViking

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the new Samuel Smith Stingo? I was shocked to see that it was $13 a bottle. I'll buy it if it is worth it and I know that Samuel Smith can make a big beer because they produce a barley wine. Can this beer hold up to the test of time or is it a drink it now type beer?

Sam Smiths are $7 each here (and that's at the expensive private shops, not the inexpensive government liquor stores.)
I had my first Sam Smith today: the Imperial Porter. It was amazing. I'll have to work my way through the rest of their offerings. The Stingo gets pretty great reviews, though.

Yeah, I used to sell Samuel Smith for a living (independent beer supplier salesman) and around here they are about $3-4 per bottle depending upon if they are on sale. That's what shocked me is the price of the Stingo at $13 per bottle. I haven't read any reviews yet and need to.

All the Samuel Smith's I have seen are in the $3-4 range....... except the Stingo. It was $13. I dont know if its worth it, but Im picking one up tomorrow night. Everything I have had from SS has been great. Most of the reviews on it are good too.

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
Bottle conditioned only.
Some of the oak casks at Samuel Smith’s date back more than a century with the individual oak staves being replaced by the Old Brewery coopers over the years. Gradually the casks soak in more & more of the character of the ale fermented in stone Yorkshire squares. Yorkshire Stingo is aged for at least a year, matured in these well-used oak casks in the brewery’s underground cellars deriving fruit, raisin, treacle toffee, Christmas pudding and slight oaky flavours, before being further naturally conditioned in bottle

Back