Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Sam Adams Winter Lager(Obnoxious relatives)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2008, 09:41 PM   #1
NJTomatoguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Sam Adams Winter Lager(Obnoxious relatives)

I didn't feel like drinking wine or brandy, so I drank SA. I dumped the first bottle,
but then my uncle got so obnoxious I needed them, so I suffered thru them. In my opinion, this was not good beer. But it served it's purpose.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2008, 09:47 PM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Personally I think it's not a bad beer, I'd take it over BMC anyday.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:58 PM   #3
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts

They have it on tap all over the place around here. Sam Adams is my go to beer at a lot of restaurants that lack a good beer selection, and most have this one right now, so I will have it. It's not bad, but I only drink it when it's the best thing available.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 12-30-2008, 02:52 PM   #4
DrewsBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Its becoming the "in" thing now for some craft beer people to start bashing Sam Adams products. None of their beers are dumpable...not even close. For a beer to be dumbable it has to be downright offensive and I've only run across that once or twice in my life. Most recently was a bottle of Stone Coast IPA that was clearly well beyond shelf life. One sip and I gagged. Thats a dumpable beer. I think people are just so much into the hop bombs that their taste buds have become dulled to the point of not being able to appreciate a pretty complex , although milder, beer like the Winter Lager. I think threads like this detract from the forums as the initial post had no relevant discussion whatsoever. How about telling exactly why you thought it was such a awful product with some real good insight...was it the hop character, the spicing, etc? Merely stating it was a piece of crap and you suffered through it sounded like irrelavent 18 year old teenage banter. Its like you saw everyone else bashing Sam and you had to join the "cool" group. I guess my point is that Sam Adams is one company that generally does things right and I want them to continue to be around. Posts like this might persuade one or 2 people from trying one of their products. Sure SA has misses but you don't win multiple gold medals in multiple style catagories for putting out swill.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:27 PM   #5
r2eng
IPA - it's all about the burps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The Cranberry Lambic is dumpable...

Don't dismiss the fact that your tastes can change in a short period of time. Several times, I almost dumped the first beer from a six-pack: Barely choking it down.A week later I decided to try another and really liked it.

Depends on time, food, last beer you had, what snack you finished, etc.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:36 PM   #6
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I did not enjoy the cranberry lambic, but it may be I don't like lambics, as that's the only one I've had. I actually really enjoy the winter lager, I may need to buy a case to keep around for a while.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 12-30-2008, 03:39 PM   #7
janzik

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewsBrew View Post
Its becoming the "in" thing now for some craft beer people to start bashing Sam Adams products. None of their beers are dumpable...not even close. For a beer to be dumbable it has to be downright offensive and I've only run across that once or twice in my life. Most recently was a bottle of Stone Coast IPA that was clearly well beyond shelf life. One sip and I gagged. Thats a dumpable beer. I think people are just so much into the hop bombs that their taste buds have become dulled to the point of not being able to appreciate a pretty complex , although milder, beer like the Winter Lager. I think threads like this detract from the forums as the initial post had no relevant discussion whatsoever. How about telling exactly why you thought it was such a awful product with some real good insight...was it the hop character, the spicing, etc? Merely stating it was a piece of crap and you suffered through it sounded like irrelavent 18 year old teenage banter. Its like you saw everyone else bashing Sam and you had to join the "cool" group. I guess my point is that Sam Adams is one company that generally does things right and I want them to continue to be around. Posts like this might persuade one or 2 people from trying one of their products. Sure SA has misses but you don't win multiple gold medals in multiple style catagories for putting out swill.
Amen. +100

Old 12-30-2008, 04:50 PM   #8
NJTomatoguy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I didn't say that I didn't like a beer to be cool and join a group to bash sam adams. Matter of fact, I liked every other one of their products I have tried.
I don't care for overly hoppy beers, so you assumed wrong on that. In my opinion, that beer was not good to me. I don't care what anyone else drinks, not my place to tell others whats good or not.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:21 PM   #9
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2eng View Post
The Cranberry Lambic is dumpable...
Ditto for the Cherry Wheat. Tastes like cough medicine.

I think most of their beers are just "ok", but I quite enjoy their Oktoberfest.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:27 PM   #10
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2814 Times on 2759 Posts
Likes Given: 124

I agree, The Cranberry Lambic and Cherry Wheat are bad. But I will choke down the 2 lambics I have to buy just to get 2 Fezziwigs. Wish i could find that by itself in the grocery store.

I enjoy all SA's I've tried besides the 2 listed above.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Quick Reply