Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Sam Adams Utopia

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 01:03 PM   #1
Aleforge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Sam Adams Utopia

Has anyone on here actually sampled this? I know its a holy grail for many, but I wonder how much is actually hype and limited availability marking it up. Two on ebay atm, one for 400.00 the other is over 200 with 4 days left. Just curious if its actually "that" good.

PRIMARY - Orange Blossom Mead

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2009, 01:36 PM   #2
hayabusa
Recipes 

Utopia is aged in casks that were used for port, cognac and whiskey. When I tasted it the aroma was strong and sweet which reminded me of cognac. Maple Syrup is the best aroma that I can think to match it up to. Visually it was dark amber like a cognac. The taste was not like any traditional beer, with zero carbonation and a toffee/caramel like taste. This was more like a cognac than anything else to me, and my opinion is that while it is a remarkable “work of art” it is not something that I would personally spend my money on, or have another sip of…. It’s 25% alcohol and is very smooth and palatable with that in mind.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2750 Times on 1649 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I've never had it yet, but PTN has been working on a clone for awhile....I haven't checked on it in awhile.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/way-...a-clone-91463/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-29-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
Aleforge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I remember seeing that post, wonder how he is doing.

Thanks for the summary Hayabusa, that's what I was looking for!

PRIMARY - Orange Blossom Mead

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Quick Reply