Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > ruination?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2009, 04:54 AM   #11
Parker36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_Sinclair View Post
What the...You can get Cali beers in MA but good East Coast beers never make it past the Mississippi? What gives, East Coast brewers?
Probably something to do with the jet-stream

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2009, 07:59 AM   #12
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelikan View Post
I haven't yet tried the basic IPA -- and think I will. I agree, although Ruination is a fine beer, it does seem overrated by a fair margin. As mentioned, the "lesser" Ballast point Big Eye IPA is right on the same level as far as my palate is concerned.
Yeah, but Big Eye is an IPA and Ruination is a double IPA. I will say I like Dorado better than I like Ruination, though. I still think Ruination is a great beer. Ballast Point is really one of the best breweries out there. Living in SD, we get to have their special releases, which is really where they shine. it is too bad they don't do more.

The thing about Stone is that they're legendary. There will forever be fanboys of that brewery, and that's just how it goes. They make solid beer, but it is really geared to a specific palate, and it isn't for everyone.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #13
Pelikan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Did a bit of research...the Big Eye and Ruination both use Centennial prominently, and are not too far off in terms of ABV. I guess this is why I had them lined up together in my mind. I recall having a big eye one day, and a ruination the next -- and was surprised at how similar they were in overall effect. I'm sure I could discern differences if I sat down and made the effort, but I digress.

I paid just under five for the Ballast Point, and about $8 for the Ruination. Hmm...I'll have to sample them both again before I draw any conclusions. To be honest, I kinda prefer 90 minute IPA to either of them...

(Quickly ducks behind the bar to avoid flying bottles)

On a brewing hiatus. Will get back into the fray eventually, methinks...

Old 01-25-2009, 03:19 PM   #14
I-Hop
Recipes 

We have several Kappys Liquors here in the north shore area. I know for a fact that they carry Stone Ruination IPA. I just picked some up last night. I personally love this beer, but it is quite expensive. They are getting somewhere around $17 a 6 pack. I think I will try the Ballast Point IPA too. If they are close to a Ruination at a cheaper price... even better.

Once it hits your lips, it's so good! -Frank the Tank

Old 01-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #15
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I don't get Ballast here, but I do get Ruination. Damn good IPA considering the next step down here is Bridgeport. I always have to remember to pick up a bottle or two when I go visit my mom as she's an extreme hophead.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:54 PM   #16
bigjohnmilford
bigger than most
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Yankee spirits in S. Attleboro has it. I beleive they recently opened a store in Swansea as well. I think there's a couple of good size stores in Mansfield as well.

What's your hobby Ray? Drinkin. Want a beer Buddy?

Old 01-25-2009, 04:32 PM   #17
Killinger
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ruination is one of my all time favorites. I do think of it separately, though, from Bells and other quality single IPAs, and Bells is exquisite.

For doubles, you might have easier access to Weyerbacher, and if so, I'd recommend their Double Simcoe IPA. Love it.

DHK

"I'm Dr. Henry Killinger, and this is my magic murder bag."

Old 01-26-2009, 05:25 AM   #18
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelikan View Post
Did a bit of research...the Big Eye and Ruination both use Centennial prominently, and are not too far off in terms of ABV. I guess this is why I had them lined up together in my mind. I recall having a big eye one day, and a ruination the next -- and was surprised at how similar they were in overall effect. I'm sure I could discern differences if I sat down and made the effort, but I digress.

I paid just under five for the Ballast Point, and about $8 for the Ruination. Hmm...I'll have to sample them both again before I draw any conclusions. To be honest, I kinda prefer 90 minute IPA to either of them...

(Quickly ducks behind the bar to avoid flying bottles)
I won't throw any bottles at you, but I can't imagine thinking that myself. Of course, Big Eye and Ruination are not even close to my favorite IPAs.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:03 AM   #19
no1likesme
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have very limited experience with bigger IPAs but I really like ruination, I am gonna have to attempt a clone at some point.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:41 AM   #20
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

It would be a bit of a drive but do yourself a favor and go to Table and Vine in W. Springfield (Just off I-91) or Ryan and Casey's in Greenfield (also just off I-91) and load up on all kinds of great beers from around the country and the world. Bring some dough and plenty of room in your vehicle.

It is worth the trip believe me. It is about a three hour drive for me!

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Quick Reply