Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > "Richard" move on the part of Samuel Smith?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #11
wailingguitar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
"Samuel Smith’s Brewery, based at Tadcaster, North Yorkshire, refused to comment."

Because they know they will get in deeper dog doo if they open their mouths.

Fact is, Samuel Smith wants the Landlord to UNDER fill the pints. Leaves more beer in the keg for more sales. But it's common practice to fill a full pint if the customer would rather have the beer than the head.

Isn't there a law over there about having to serve a full pint of beer? Some sort of line on the glass or something??
Exactly, and the management was filling OVER that line. The owners had a right to take issue with this... HOWEVER, there is a way to deal with it and a way not to... this is a perfect example of the "not to"!

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #12
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 220 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 374

er, i guess i posted a repeat tread...

anyway, there is enough collective anger over this issue that landlords had to start a separate forum to vent:

http://samsmiths.info/forum/index.php

The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 02-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #13
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 85

As dick-ish as the move is - at least by doing it so publicly and on such a busy night, it'll be clear to the customers of that pub that when they start getting short(er)-fills, it's the brewery to blame, not the bar tenders...

Not that I believe for a second that was the intent behind this approach. I've read a few articles about them recently, and the guys running Samuel Smith sound like real douche bags.

Quick Reply