Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > The return of RH "Double Black Stout"!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2008, 02:31 AM   #1
r2eng
IPA - it's all about the burps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default The return of RH "Double Black Stout"!!

I loved this beer, but haven't seen it a years

It'll be the first beer I drink after the turkey hits the oven!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008, 09:29 PM   #2
jvh261

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Saw it for the first time the other day...never had it in IL before this to my knowledge. I was already loading up on a bunch of stuff so I wasn't in the spending out of curiosity mode. What's the story on this brew?

Only Stout I have at home right now is Founder's Breakfast Stout..and holy shiz is it good. Double Chocolate Coffee Oatmeal.... mmmmmmmmmm.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:19 AM   #3
r2eng
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I haven't cracked it yet.. the old DBS was fantastic. I'll drink 'er this weekend and report back!

Still, my favorite commercial stouts are: Pelican Tsunami Stout, Rogue's Shakespeare, and #1 is Stone's 12th Anniversary Oatmeal stout.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:53 PM   #4
r2eng
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aroma: Strong coffee and roasted barley. Not much on aroma when the beer is cold (40F), but it really comes out when it warms.

Appearance: Dark brown to mahogany around the edges of the glass. Head is a dense tan, not overly carbonated. Head shrinks, but remains until the pint is empty. Good lacing.

Flavor: Coffee is strong, followed by roasted flavors as the beer goes down. Dry finish, a little hops noticed, although the coffee provides some bitterness, too. Not sweet at all, although the label describes this as an imperial stout (7% ABV seems low for imperial).

Mouthfeel: Smooth. Not thick, but leaves a nice coffee coating on the tongue.

Overall: A nice coffee flavored stout, which is not very heavy. The 22oz went down easily. If you like your coffee black, you will like this stout. Very drinkable. Let it warm, as the best flavor came out when the beer hit 48-50F. Have this beer instead of after dinner coffee.

Last edited by r2eng; 12-09-2008 at 12:37 AM.

Quick Reply