Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Red Hook IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2006, 02:42 PM   #1
jeffg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Red Hook IPA

I have to confess, I had absolutely zero expectations of this beer being any good, but my favorite local watering hole near my office has it on tap along with Sierra Nevada, and lately I've been going for the IPA. For whatever reason, it has a pretty good bite to it and a nice hop flavor aroma balance. Maybe I have just Harpooned myself to death over the last ten years, who knows. It's not something i would normally put in my fridge, but on tap after work it is pretty good. Anyone else drink it?

Bottled: Salvator Dopplebock
Up Next: Octoberfest

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2006, 03:53 PM   #2
todd_k

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I bought a six pack once, I was underwhelmed by it. Their ESB is good.

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:
Kegged: Smoked Porter

Old 11-09-2006, 04:35 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Odd you should bring this beer up. The Oregon Brew Crew had a People's Choice tasting last month of 14 IPA's and Redhook came in last. Lagunitas and Racer 5 were one & two.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-09-2006, 06:57 PM   #4
jeffg

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Odd you should bring this beer up. The Oregon Brew Crew had a People's Choice tasting last month of 14 IPA's and Redhook came in last. Lagunitas and Racer 5 were one & two.
Doesn't surprise me but it's still good on tap. Downtown Boston beer choices are usually extremely limited.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:25 PM   #5
Genghis77

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Lagunitas is a great IPA. Also, Zero Gravity is a great IPA. I wouldn't buy Red Hook again.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:40 PM   #6
Monk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Do you ever visit JJ Foley's? It's on King street, couple blocks past Downtown crossing. I used to love that place.

monk

Old 11-09-2006, 10:26 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

I must admit, since I've moved to Oregon I rarely eat anywhere except a brewpub. My favorite place has an IPA Brut, an IPA, a hoppy red and a very hoppy APA on tap right now. Mark had a Pilsner this summer with 40 IBU of Saaz.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-10-2006, 06:17 AM   #8
Brewtopia
"Greenwood Aged Beer"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
I must admit, since I've moved to Oregon I rarely eat anywhere except a brewpub. My favorite place has an IPA Brut, an IPA, a hoppy red and a very hoppy APA on tap right now. Mark had a Pilsner this summer with 40 IBU of Saaz.
Sounds like Golden Valley in McMinville. Great Brewery. I've got two bottles of the VS Brut IPA in the cellar. That's an amazing beer!

Naked City Construction Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 01:21 PM   #9
jeffg

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk
Do you ever visit JJ Foley's? It's on King street, couple blocks past Downtown crossing. I used to love that place.

monk
Oddly enough, I was at the Good Life right across the street last night (lamenting that I did not go to JJ's since they redid the Good Life and it is bad now).

Boston's a funny place for the bar scene. Most of the brew pubs that popped up like dandelions in the mid-90's have gone under. There are a few select bars that do the 30 beers on tap and another 100 in the bottle thing, which is nice, but they are either inconveniently located to downtown to be a good post-work spot, or they serve food as the main attraction so the standing room bar space is limited (making it tough to go with the post-work gang). The "martini bar" craze and wine bars have made a big comeback and good beer is really taking the big hit. Places think they are vogue if they have Moretti and Stella. it is shocking to get an IPA other than Harpoon on tap, which I'm pretty burnt out on. There is always a good guiness in one of the 6,000 irish bars mind you, but not much to delight the hop head....

Old 11-10-2006, 07:48 PM   #10
Monk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffg
Oddly enough, I was at the Good Life right across the street last night (lamenting that I did not go to JJ's since they redid the Good Life and it is bad now).

Boston's a funny place for the bar scene. Most of the brew pubs that popped up like dandelions in the mid-90's have gone under. There are a few select bars that do the 30 beers on tap and another 100 in the bottle thing, which is nice, but they are either inconveniently located to downtown to be a good post-work spot, or they serve food as the main attraction so the standing room bar space is limited (making it tough to go with the post-work gang). The "martini bar" craze and wine bars have made a big comeback and good beer is really taking the big hit. Places think they are vogue if they have Moretti and Stella. it is shocking to get an IPA other than Harpoon on tap, which I'm pretty burnt out on. There is always a good guiness in one of the 6,000 irish bars mind you, but not much to delight the hop head....
That's sad to hear. I lived in Boston for 3 years and very much enjoyed the pubs. I was in the seminary at the time (have since left, on good terms, and married), but I certainly enjoyed hitting Foley's on Sat afternoon to have a couple pints with the bros. I don't remember much of their selection except that it seemed large. I didn't know much of beer at the time, so I didn't give the selection much of a workout. I've heard Foley's was a hangout for cops and irish mob, but I never saw too many myself. Mostly just seminarians. They were quite nice to us, bless them.

Quick Reply