Pyramid Thunderhead IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchiest

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this? We're going to get it on draft at my pub soon, and we got a couple sample bottles last week. It's freakin delicious! I was really impressed, because I thought I didn't like Pyramid beers in general. Their Curve Ball summer and Snow Cap winter are both quite unimpressive.

I'm coming around on IPAs in general, but this one is really good. Almost as good as Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA. In fact, it seems to reside in this halfway place between IPA and IIPA. Comments?

Dude said:
I loved it when I had it. I think it is all Columbus--which is really a nice hop.

Yeah, I'm working on an IIPA recipe right now. I planned on using Summit, Centennial and Cascade; might have to throw some Columbus in there.

We had a flyer at work. I checked it out, and they use only Tomahawk hops for Thunderhead. It's 6.7% ABV and 67 IBUs. The malts used are 2-row, munich, caramel, and carapils, if anyone is interested in trying a clone.

Torchiest said:
We had a flyer at work. I checked it out, and they use only Tomahawk hops for Thunderhead. It's 6.7% ABV and 67 IBUs. The malts used are 2-row, munich, caramel, and carapils, if anyone is interested in trying a clone.

Tomahawk = Columbus. I bet they just say Tomahawk because it sounds cooler. :D Here's a handy reference if you've never seen it:

http://www.hopunion.com/hopunion-variety-databook.pdf

Heh, yeah, I figured that out after I posted that message. Thanks for the link! It'll help me with my current dilemma with the Imperial IPA recipe I'm working on.

Back