Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Pumpkin Ale Throwdown

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 02:28 AM   #71
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

King brian do you like pumpkin beers ? Just asking you haven't really reviewed any for us LOL Where is Samhain ??? Last dibs or I'm going to review it.

Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 02:40 AM   #72
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte
King brian do you like pumpkin beers ? Just asking you haven't really reviewed any for us LOL Where is Samhain ??? Last dibs or I'm going to review it.
Haha, feel free to review it. I was waiting until after I reviewed Pumking so I could have a good comparison. I didn't want to review both in one night though. It would be great if anyone else added reviews to the thread, including you doing Samhain. I'll probably get to it in the next couple of days.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 10-11-2012, 06:25 AM   #73
bose301s
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
Cottonwood Pumpkin

Poured a brilliant, crystal clear dark yellow with a touch of orange. An aggressive pour produced a two-finger bright white head that fell to a thin cap. Aroma is of powdered ginger and cinnamon creating an aroma that puts me in the mind of chlorophenols, but not quite. There is an underlying caramelly sweetness that comes and goes in the aroma. Upon first tasting it, the first thing I noticed is that it is nicely full in the mouthfeel. Starts slightly sweet with a touch of an interesting, slight tang, that transitions into a full, thick finish with an almost chemically spice character lingering into the aftertaste. Carbonation is moderate and lends a slight carbonic bite to the finish. Overall, not a bad beer, but nothing special either. The spices come off a little chemically, which combined with the slightly carbonic finish, detracts from my enjoyment of the beer. I was pleasantly surprised by the thick mouthfeel, though. Worth trying, but only buy one.

I will disagree with you on this one, by far my favorite pumpkin beer over 2 years of trying them. Up to ~30 different ones me and my fiance have now sampled and it is both of our favorite one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
I had some Pumking on tap tonight. Spicier than last years, I think. More gingerbread than capn' crunch this year. Still pretty damn good.

Look's like Tyler's Taproom in Durham by DBAP. They had the Pumpking as their Pint Night special in Carrboro last week but we never went, bought a 22oz insread.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #74
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Ok here it is my review of Samhain Pumpkin ale the King of all pumpkin ales on this thread. KingBrianI right here from HBT also happens to be the brewmeister of this recipe and deserves all credit for this amazing seasonal yet should be year round treat. This of all the homebrews I do each year falls into the category of tradition it is the only beer I brew with my family and just like making a pumpkin pie, carving a pumkin, or taking the boy out trick or treating it has become something we all look foward to doing as a family each fall. This beer also happens to be amazing. Without further ado here is my review of Samhain Pumpkin Ale.

A- Dark with ruby highlights and fair clarity, off white tanish fluffy head with a 2 finger depth that holds on for what seems like forever but when fading leaves a copious amount of thick lacing along the glass walls.

S- If you can imagine the smell of pumpkin pie this is it but with a cookie like malty backbone. Aroma's of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and clove all intermingle with the perfect balance of pumpkin and a malty quality that is accentuated by the toasted maris otter that gives it a baked cookie like quality that is unique and perfect for this style.

T- The taste follows very closely to the aroma produced. The balance of this beer is what sets it apart from other beers of this style not overwhelming in any of it's individual aspects but by no means underhelming either. The first taste is the spices which may as well be pumpkin pie but quickly gives way to the pumpkin and malt which are blended perfectly.

M- The mouthfell is medium-full and is due to a strong malt back bone of Golden promise, maris otter, wheat amoung other grains. The carbonation is pretty solid as well though as homebrewers we have ability to make this of our liking I choose to go with about 2.5 volumes of co2 and find it to be a perfect balance of carbonation.

O- Each year I go to alot of fall parties and each year pumpkin ales seem to be a love hate topic either falling short from too much pumpkin or too much spice or conversly not enough of either and is a pumokin ale by label ony. I also happen to be the President of one of the largest homebrew clubs in the Hudson Valley of New york and since I have introduced this to other home brewers I have got nothing but perfect reviews and compliments of this Pumpkin Ale. I have also made this my family's Thanksgiving day drink of choice. With a perfect balance of spice, pumkin, and malt I strongly reccomend everyone to brew this fabuous recipe. If you like pumpkin ales you will not be dissapointed in this beer and I'm sure you will agree this is by far the King of Pumkin ales.

chakka-023.jpg  
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 10-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #75
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Wow, thanks for the review! I'll be embarassed of my attempt to review it now, since it will be nowhere near as descriptive as your review! I'm glad you like it so much.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #76
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

I tried Pumking a few weeks ago after hearing lots of good things. I have to be honest, at first I thought it was pretty good because it tasted exactly like pumpkin pie. I couldn't even finish the bottle though. It is overly sweet and loaded with diacetyl. Just thinking about it now makes me want to hurl!

Old 10-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #77
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Shipyard Brewing Company's Smashed Pumpkin

Pours a hazy, light-orange with a thin, white head. Belgian-y esters (?), sourish oaky smells, and light spices on the nose. I'm also getting something kind of citric as well as a light, creamy malt sweetness in the aroma. Lots of ginger explodes on the palate on the first sip. It's joined with some sweetness from the malt and an orange juice flavor. A good amount of cinnamon sugar-dusted toast as well. Finish is long and slightly tart. The lingering flavor of ginger continues from the back of the tongue and into the throat. I think I said this last year as well, but the ginger flavor is definitely from powdered ginger, which tastes different than fresh ginger. Nice full mouthfeel and moderate-low carbonation. I don't think it's spiced to the level of last year's, though I can't be sure (it HAS been a year, afterall). It's a decent beer, though I wish the powdered ginger was taken back another notch or two. It overpowers everything else and washes out most of the malt flavor. If I'm honest, this tastes more like orange juice mixed with a lot of powdered ginger than it does beer to me. The 9% ABV is well-hidden. Not much else to say. Still have half the bottle to work through.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:00 AM   #78
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1193

+1, I think the orange is from maybe hops(?). I was considering aging one to see if it gets better, I really think that will tone down with age.Yet I hope I get around to taking it out of the fridge and dont drink it before I do age it. I may just have to buy another one. Pumpking is king so far for me, although Ive been still limited and havent tried some of the great ones unavailable to me, but Im about to try a Lakefront Pumpkin Lager soon. St.Ambroise pumpkin ale is pretty high up there in my opinion as well.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #79
adamjackson
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Favorites in order are Pumking, Punkin and Smashed Pumpkin.

I'm a bit crazy...about beer.
My Beer Blog
My Beer Photos
Untappd Profile

Quick Reply