Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Pumpkin Ale Throwdown

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2011, 06:02 PM   #21
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm5k00 View Post
I'm interested to read the review for the woodchuck hard cider, having only consumed one pumpkin beer before (it was the one by michalob, and it was horrible) I really appriciate these reviews.
I actually only had a sip of it, my wife is the cider person. It was alright as far as woodchuck ciders go. They are all too sweet for me, but it wasn't bad. There were spices coming through and another flavor you might call pumpkin. I wasn't really paying much attention to the sip though. My wife said it was very similar to the woodchuck fall cider, which is just a spiced cider. I could definitely pull out something different in the pumpkin cider though.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #22
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Heavy Seas The Greater Pumpkin

I noticed lots of fluffy, loose sediment in the bottle so I handled and poured it carefully. Upon opening there was a big pfft warning me to pour carefully. Poured gently and a nice 1-finger head popped up and slowly settled into a thin cap. Color is an attractive orange-gold, fairly clear in this first pour but for a little yeast clumps floating around. The next pour is sure to be a lot cloudier. Smell is slightly sour, like old barrels in a distilleries aging celler. Bourbon comes through eagerly with hints of spice on the nose. There's an almost creamy quality to the aroma. It blends with the sour notes to create an orange and cream sherbet impression. I think the beer definitely picked up some Brett in those barrels. Flavor is sweeter and less sour than I was expecting. You're hit with nice malt sweetness up front, and it's followed quickly by slightly puckering tannin from the oak that blends with a bourbon smokiness into the finish. Definite alcohol warmth in the throat. Low bitterness. I'm not getting much pumpkin and only a little bit of spice in the flavor. It's actually a nice, well-made beer, but it doesn't display the pumpkin and spice character of most pumpkin beers. It tastes like it might have been stronger before the bourbon barrel aging added the oaky tannin, bourbon, and brett flavors. The tannins are actually a bit too strong in this beer right now, but would probably smooth out after another 6 months to a year. This might be a very good beer to hang onto for a year or two. For a pumpkin beer though, you may be better off with the Great Pumpkin by Heavy Seas, which forgoes the bourbon barrel aging. I think the oak covers up a lot of the pumpkin and spice flavors while the Brett ate some of the other flavor up while drying and thinning out the beer slightly.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:41 PM   #23
Monstar
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This is great! Thanks a ton for doing this. Can't wait to get home and try a few.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:13 PM   #24
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Well, that's it for the pumpkin beers I bought. I've still got the nogne 0/jolly pumpkin/stone holiday ale I bought thinking it was a pumpkin ale. It should be good but it's not a pumpkin beer. I may pick up some more pumpkin beers to add to this thread if anyone can recommend a good one that would be available in my area (Durham, NC). I saw a few more in the bottle shop I skipped due to either not having heard of the brewery, or knowing the brewery made compromised beer (harvest moon).

Old 10-07-2011, 01:52 PM   #25
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Tried Pumking on tap last night. Even better than in the bottle. On tap, the artificial capn crunch cereal was a bit more subdued, and I actually got more of the toasty malt flavor.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #26
steinsato
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

subscribed

"The ordinary world is only the foam on top of the real world." Tom Robbins (B is for Beer)
"It's a beautiful day for baseball. Let's play two." Ernie Banks

Old 10-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #27
sfrisby
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 160 Posts

In regards to the cider, I didn't get much pumpkin either, but may I suggest the barrel aged woodchuck. Not a cider expert, but best one I've had. And I am a huge fan of heavy seas greater pumpkin! Thanks for the work.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #28
chrislehr
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Great thread. I find most pumpkins to be nothing more than a spiced beer, which I am not as big a fan of. I want PUMPKIN flavor, not cinnamon and nutmeg beer!

I brewed all the beer at my wedding.
http://weddingbrewing.blogspot.com/

passedpawn Likes This 
Old 10-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #29
DavidSteel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Pumking is my favorite beer of all time. One of the reasons being on how hard it is to clone. How do they get that perfect pumpkin pie flavor that finishes with a graham cracker crust? Delicious dessert beer.

Bottled: Ó Flannagáin Standard, Random Stout, Nut Brown, Edwort's Rye IPA, Milk Stout + Coffee Milk Stout, Centennial Blonde, Pale Ale, Cthulhu Dementia Robust Porter, Nyarlathotep (I)IIPA, Willamette IPA parti-gyle, Indian Brown Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Oatmeal Stout, Barely Legal IIPA, Oatmeal Stout 2, Hazelnut Coffee Oatmeal Stout
Planned: RIS, Coconut Porter

Old 10-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #30
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSteel View Post
Pumking is my favorite beer of all time. One of the reasons being on how hard it is to clone. How do they get that perfect pumpkin pie flavor that finishes with a graham cracker crust? Delicious dessert beer.
Flavoring extracts.

Quick Reply