Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Pumpkin Ale Throwdown

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011, 12:20 AM   #11
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 9

So should I go for the shipyard smashed pumpkin, heavy seas the greater pumpkin, or southern tier imperial pumking tonight? I've only had the pumking this year so the other two will be new to me. Decisions, decisions...

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 12:22 AM   #12
wedge421
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here is my video review for Shipyards Smashed Pumpkin. One of my favorites as well as The Burery's Autumn Maple

The Best Homebrew and Beer Review VIDEOS on the internets:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BeerGeekNation
Buy Beer Geek Nation shirts - http://www.beergeeknation.com/store

Old 10-04-2011, 12:32 AM   #13
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Chris, you know I watch your reviews the day you upload them! You've convinced me though, I'm going for the Smashed Pumpkin tonight. That Autumn Maple sounded very interesting!

Old 10-04-2011, 12:47 AM   #14
wedge421
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

haha thanks man! I actually just posted the Autumn Maple today!

The Best Homebrew and Beer Review VIDEOS on the internets:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BeerGeekNation
Buy Beer Geek Nation shirts - http://www.beergeeknation.com/store

Old 10-04-2011, 01:33 AM   #15
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin

Poured a light, orange-tinted gold. A bit duller in the light than the other beers. Not as brilliantly clear. A creamy 3-finger head popped up upon pouring and quickly dissipated. Aroma is unrefined sugar and spice. Powdered ginger seems to be a significant portion of the spices used along with allspice. Soft cinnamon in there too. Very light delicate hop spiciness. Wow, very different flavors from the other beers so far. The powdered ginger, allspice and cinnamon from the aroma come through powerfully in the flavor. There's a munich-type malty sweetness and very little bitterness. Body is nice and full. I'm not getting a whole lot of pumpkin flavor in there. There's a slight twang that hits the sides of the tongue just before swallowing. This beer is definitely a sipper -- not because of the alcohol or richness, but because of the almost overpowering spice. You almost need a minute or two between sips to let your palate rest before being assaulted by the next mouthful. That's not a bad thing, necessarily, and those who like their pumpkin beers strongly spiced will be pleased. It's interesting that the mix of spices here comes off much differently than the other pumpkin beers. While most pumpkin beers have strong cinnamon, nutmeg and clove, this beer brings the powdered ginger and allspice very strongly with the cinnamon playing a more background role.

This beer is kind of a share-with-friends beer to me. I'm going to have a hard time finishing the bottle. It's not bad, just really in your face.

Oh, one other thing I should note. It had a foiled cap but it was a twist-off. Kind of disappointing...

Old 10-05-2011, 01:08 AM   #16
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Southern Tier Pumking

Poured a crystal clear, glowing, light orange. An off white 1 finger head came up then quickly fell back. The aroma is quite powerful and layered. Most dominant is the aroma of Cap'n Crunch Cereal (I think this is what many refer to as graham cracker but it is much more like the cereal to me). To my nose, it is indistinguishable. Under that I'm getting the spices and below the spices there's just the hint of sharp pumpkin. It's all very appealing. Upon taking a sip, the first thing that hits is the malty, creamy, sweetness. It is followed quickly by gingery spice on the tip of the tongue and in the back of the mouth. Toasty, almost buttery malt fill out the mid palate and the finish is sweet and tingly. I'm almost getting a custardy flavor in there too. The aftertaste is reminiscent of pumpkin pie. Body is nice and full.

The best pumpkin beer among those I've tried this year. Despite the artificialness of some of the flavors, it is still very appealing. Unlike the shipyard beer, I have no trouble drinking pumking. It's not an all-day kind of beer, but a bottle after dinner is nice.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:11 AM   #17
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1207

Glad you liked the pumpking,its a good beer,personally i thought the smashed had alot more character/complexity and was mildly spiced compared to the pumpkings overwhelming aroma and flavor profile. Mine(pumpking) was on the shelf warm then cooled for a week whether its a difference? who knows. Turns out i liked the smashed a little less the second time than the first too. But i disagree that the smashed is overspiced.Because i hate overspiced pumpkin beers.cheers! Ill be looking for some more pumpkins, and thanks for the reveiws i enjoy and apreciate people like you that take the time to do this.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:15 AM   #18
r2eng
IPA - it's all about the burps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts

Cool, keep it going!

I may have to hunt down some DFH when I am in Vegas next month. I love fresh pumpkin smell, and feel most pumpkin beers have too much spice. Sounds like my kinda' beer!

Thanks a bunch for the reviews. Great descriptions!

Old 10-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #19
BargainMugs
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Congratulations on getting a decent bottle of Pumking. The quality of the bottles have been 50/50 for me this year.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #20
pm5k00
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I'm interested to read the review for the woodchuck hard cider, having only consumed one pumpkin beer before (it was the one by michalob, and it was horrible) I really appriciate these reviews.

Quick Reply