New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Pro-brewers fermentation question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
benko
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Pro-brewers fermentation question.

I took a tour at a small brewery several months ago, and I wish I would have thought to ask this, but I didn't. The brewery had a 15 bbl system, but they had several 30 bbl fermentation tanks. My question is, how do they ferment their batches? Obviously, they need to brew two batches to fill their fermenter. Does the first batch just sit there and wait several hours while they make the second batch and pump it into the tank? You would think that they'd want to pitch the yeast right away, and not have a batch of boiled, cooled wort just sitting there. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2008, 09:54 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Based on my conversations with the pros (including Rod Widmer), they pitch into the first batch of wort while the second is being mashed. Widmer's has a 250 barrel system with six 750 barrel fermenters and six 1000 barrel fermenters. The mash tun keeps cranking, 23 hours a day. ONE person runs the operation.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-17-2008, 12:32 AM   #3
benko
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So if I understand that correctly, they add a second or third batch of wort to beer that is already in the process of fermenting?

Old 12-19-2008, 05:32 PM   #4
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Why not? The first batch is basically a "starter" for the yeast while the next batch is getting ready.

Sounds like a good practice to me!

I am a member of the Maryland Brewday Group - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/md-brew-day/

MD Dec Brewday 12/11/10 - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f20/md-pa-de-dc-winter-brew-day-195534/

Old 12-19-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

In the few hours it takes to get the second batch in there, there's not a ton of fermentation going on, so adding it to the first would be just fine.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:28 AM   #6
B-Dub
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The first batch gets O2 and ALL the yeast for the total batch size. The subsequent batches are just pumped in behind the first usually without any O2.

I think it is ROB not ROD.

Quick Reply