Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Pilsner Smackdown

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2008, 11:06 PM   #1
Poindexter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Pilsner Smackdown

I am workign up a recipe for a Pilsnerwine, or Imperial Pilsner depending on your point of view. I lifted it from Mosher's _Radical Brewing_ book. So far I got the 4# of Rice Syrup solids, then I hit the beer store for a sampler pack.

I am not a certified beer judge, I am just some random dude.

Pilsner Urquell and Stella Artois missed the sampler pack because I feel pretty familiar with them. I admire both brews, but I find the hop finish on both kinda, mmm, harshish.

Back of the class this trip was Czechvar and El Salvador Centenario. Both were significantly undercarbed for style. I am happy to try either again, though I _suspect_ I will find the Centenario overbalanced towards malt even once properly carbed. I think the Budvar has a lot of potential, look forward to trying that one again.

Drinkable, midpack:

#4 Bitburger To me was just forgetable. Beautifully balanced, excellent head, just kinda blah. I mean why spend 50k on a Jaguar Xk when you can get a used Camaro for 12k? The Camaro si basically the same car, only it has more power and will score chicks into you for something besides your wallet.

#3 Konig Pilsner overblanaced to malt for my taste. otherwise all around excellent.

I just realized the Konig and Bitburger bottles are as similar as St. Pauli is to Beck's and was reminded of General Marshall.

Two thumbs up

#2 Trumer Pils I hate green bottles, but I at least like everything else about this beer. I loved the head, the lace was fantastic, good hop aroma. I'll order one of these anywhere, but if the first is skunked I won't order anymore.

#1 Paulaner everything the trumer has, but it comes in a brown bottle. Extra dry, light, dry and crisp. Minimal hop flavor between excellent bitterness and strong hop aroma.

I'll be aiming for the Paulaner this weekend.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2008, 11:21 PM   #2
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I would agree that Trumer Pils is a great example of a Pils. On draft it's even better.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:19 AM   #3
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Check out this website????

Check out this website. This place night give you what you're looking for...

Mucho high ABV

" New link"

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/GUILL...SNER_P1932.cfm

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Quick Reply