Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Picked up some Samichlaus tonite . . .

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2006, 12:26 AM   #1
sonvolt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Default Picked up some Samichlaus tonite . . .

Saw it at my local liquor store. I bought a 4-pack for $15.00

I am not used to spending that kind of $$$ on beer, so this stuff better be good. I have read about it, and I just had to try it.

Who else has had it? Is it worth it? What is the style, etc.?

INO . . . tell me about the Samichlaus

BTW, I am not drinking until Christmas or Christmas Eve. I think that I will drink two of the bottles this year and save two for next year.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2006, 04:33 AM   #2
Vermicous

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

One of the BYO magazines has a recipe for it. I've never tried the beer, but the recipe looked interesting. Let us know what you think.

It's a lager, no strange ingredients, but listed under the specialty catagory. Might be because it's 14%, dunno though

I'm like a chocoholic, but for booze.

Old 12-09-2006, 08:42 AM   #3
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I've tried it twice and I could barely choke it down. I suppose it just isn't a style for me.

Old 12-09-2006, 09:57 PM   #4
Erbium:YAG

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You probably would have been better off buying a single bottle to try. Samichlaus is a ridiculously strong beer and can leave a really funky aftertaste. A friend of my wife's bought me 2 and a half cases of a variety of beers for my birthday last month. Four bottles were Samichlaus. I recalled the one time before I had it and decided to give it another shot. Needless to say, I still have three bottles sitting around.

Old 12-11-2006, 06:07 PM   #5
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I look forward to getting a 4-pack each year, which, BTW, is the only way it is sold here in the US. Each year is marked for the year it was brewed (this year's batch will be dated 2005).

I open two of the four at Christmas time - one for me and one to share with someone special. I save the other two and wait until next year to compare. It's such a strong lager that it can store chilled for a long time and the flavor changes over time. I began doing this in 2004.

This year, that someone special and I will compare the 2005 with a 2004 and my last 2003. I'd get too plastered too soon if I compared them all on my own! I find that the flavor mellows and is warmer over time.

There's some good info on it here.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:46 PM   #6
Beeratier
Recipes 

Last night I tasted a 2001 bottle of this stuff with my friend who is a Master Beer Judge and we were both totally blown away. He had tasted it before and didnt like it , but this 5 year old stuff was incredible. He brews about 150-200 gallons a year and tastes hundreds of beers every year and this 2001 bottle of Samichlaus was astonishing to him. Best beer he has had all year.

So, when you find this stuff, buy it, and age it for 5 years. You will not be disappointed.

"I don't have education, I have inspiration and if I was educated I'd be a damn fool." - Bob Marley

Quick Reply