Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Overall, who has the best beers?
View Poll Results: Who has the best beer?
U.S. 31 56.36%
rest of the world 14 25.45%
Ralph Nader's Homebrew Stash 10 18.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
Cheesefood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

Default Overall, who has the best beers?

Which continent has the best beers? With all of the microbreweries in the U.S., it's easy to think that one day we'll rival the rest of the world in overall quality.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2007, 01:44 PM   #2
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How are we defining "Best?"

Depending on the criteria, there are different answers to the question.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:55 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

I'd say the US, but if the trend to over-hop and imperial everything continues, we lose big time. Catering to one segment of the beer drinking population resulted in BMC, we are headed towards Cascades-flavored vodka! A large variety, true to style, is what it takes.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-03-2007, 01:56 PM   #4
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
I'd say the US, but if the trend to over-hop and imperial everything continues, we lose big time. Catering to one segment of the beer drinking population resulted in BMC, we are headed towards Cascades-flavored vodka! A large variety, true to style, is what it takes.
Well said, old chap. I agree.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:06 PM   #5
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

US vs Germany, US vs. Belgium, even US vs. UK, maybe a fair fight. US vs. the whole ROW? Not even close. Way too many excellent styles grossly underrepresented here. Where's the ordinary bitter? Helles bock? Schwartzbier? and on and on.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:17 PM   #6
DeadYetiBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

hehe someone had to pick the third...

Old 07-03-2007, 02:21 PM   #7
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As far as I am concerned it's a question that has no definitive answer.

All answers are based upon exposure and experience, or lack of, to foreign brands. In many cases those brews may have been old and stale to be enjoyed and judged properly.

Then again, it may be a conspiracy to ensure the American consumer prefers BMC over foreign competition...

As for me, I spent 9 years in Germany. For an everyday drink I would prefer a good German lager over any other in the world. They are straightforward and you know what you are getting. Same with an English Bitter.

Dessert beers are fine for special occasions, but you really can't drink a Frambiose, Chimay (dubbels/trippels, et al) everyday.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by homebrewer_99; 07-03-2007 at 03:05 PM.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:24 PM   #8
DeadYetiBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
....but you really can't drink Chimay (dubbels/trippels, et al) everyday.
Speak for yourself...... i could drink an abbey ale everyday....

But you're right about one thing, the region the beer is named for (German Lager, English Bitter) is the region that's going to do it the best...

Old 07-03-2007, 02:36 PM   #9
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Well, that "trend" has singlehandedly vaulted the US ahead of every other country. If you prefer boring beers, luckily you can still brew them, but for now you can thank all of the craft breweries who are experimenting with beer for putting beer back onto the map.

I agree with the variety, but we wouldn't have the variety we do now if it weren't for the extremes.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 07-03-2007, 04:25 PM   #10
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Good question. I can't answer. I mean many countries are churning out (and have been doing so for so long) premium quality beer. Now if you talk new directions in beer and innovation, I'd go with US. Traditional Styling- Germany. The stuff from Belgium is so broad in it's own right to merit subdivisions of the question at hand, imo.

I think you can see regional (US) contention because some trends are stronger in some areas. Most of the PA breweries that I know have still held back from high hop rates in the majority of their beers. There are a few individual products...like HopDevil, Nugget Nectar and such...but in general you don't see too much of it here. We have some fairly traditional breweries like Penn and Stoudts to name a few. Troegs seems to be a bit more 'upbeat' and in the flow of adding new twists to styles without going what I would view as overboard. Up the Coast, Harpoon is more traditional. Now Belgian-American styling...Ommegang is very grounded in that sense, yet remains pretty innovative.

I also am a firm believer that there is a time and place for certain brews. Personally I like my "old friends" as Papa puts it.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Quick Reply