Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Oskar Blues "Gordon" forced to change its name

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
Wayne1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Oskar Blues "Gordon" forced to change its name

"Oskar Blues will change the name of one of its four year-round beers after the Tennessee-based Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant Group threatened to sue the Colorado company for trademark infringement, says Oskar Blues spokesman Chad Melis"

From

To

Full story here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've never been a big fan of Gordon Biersch and this kind of bullsh!t makes me care even less for them. I'm glad Oscar Blues is embracing the change and using it for a positive spin.

Oscar Blues - Class act
Gordon Biersch - Class Hack

Old 01-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

I probably would have sent Gordon Biersch a cease and desist (I realize GB predates OB by about a decade, I'm just a smartass). I thought the restaurant group and brewery were separate entities, if so I wonder how the brewery feels about this?

I've never had a Gordon Biersch beer and definitely won't have one now nor eat at the restaurant. Oskar Blues makes some really good beers though and I love that they come in cans. Dale's Pale Ale is probably my favorite Pale Ale.

The irony is that any 'mistaken identity' would probably favor Gordon Biersch and be a detriment to Oskar Blues.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 01-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
Steelers77
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 11

This is odd, I just ate at a Gordon Biersch. That being said, all I could think about when I was there was the fact that this "Brewpub" was a little too upscale for me and the beer wasn't that good.

After seeing this I will never go to one of their establishments ever again.

Besides how could you not love a brewery that has a beer named Ten Fidy

Get your hops, 85 varieties starting at $.75/oz!

Accuflex Bev Seal Ultra in stock now!

Farmhousebrewingsupply.com

http://farmhousebrewingsupply.com

https://www.facebook.com/Farmhousebrewingsupply

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Farmhousebrew

Old 01-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
jvcjbl
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Went to the one in AZ all the time for their "Alt" beer... it was damn good. Other than that.. OVER PRICED!!!

Old 01-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

Well, I guess I am done going to Gordon Biersch (only been twice) and RockBottom's, Boo to craftworks.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #7
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Between this and their recent handling of Rock Bottom, Gordon Biersch is making QUITE the name for themselves. Hmm, is any publicity REALLY good publicity?!?!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 01-14-2011, 07:58 PM   #8
UncleChuck
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That seems pretty lame of Gordon Biersh to due such a thing.

On the linked article someone had E-Mailed them complaining, and got this response:

"I understand your consternation over the information you probably received from the two blog postings linked to below. Let me assure you that, as is often the case with the internet, they are relatively devoid of facts and context.

http://beeradvocate.com/forum/...

While it is true that Dan Gordon, an original founder of Gordon Biersch, has asked Oskar Blues to change the name of the beer "Gordon" it is a little more involved than the Beer Advocate posting would imply. Oscar Blues came out with a single beer named "Gordon," in memory of the late brewer Gordon Knight, in 2002. Dan Gordon has been producing German Lagers and Hefeweizen with the name Gordon Biersch on the label since 1988. Dan asked Oskar Blues to change their beer name to "Knight" or some other moniker that consumers would not confuse with his beer for years. They had settled on a verbal agreement that Oskar Blues would not sell the brand "Gordon" in states where Gordon Biersch is distributed, which did not include Oskar Blues' home state of Colorado.
Oskar Blues did not hold up their end of the bargain and that is why legal action was taken.

Please keep in mind that all businesses have the right and obligation to protect their trademarks. We have received cease and desist letters over the years for beer names such as "SummerFest" and have always complied out of respect for our brewing brethren, if in fact they had the name before us. This includes the most respected craft breweries in the country, there is no resentment, it is simply good business.

I implore you to keep on open mind about what "Craft Beer" is and who defines it. We have 68 hard working brewers whose livelihoods and families depend on the wisdom of beer connoisseurs such as yourself not to let be led astray by the self appointed "experts." Like beer, information is best when it is obtained fresh at its source. So let bloggers chatter all they want; we will continue making some of the best beer you can find on the planet in hopes that you will appreciate imbibing it as much as we appreciate your patronage.

Prost,

Kelly Wilson
Director of Marketing - Brewery Restaurant Group and Specialty Concepts CraftWorks Restaurants & Breweries, Inc."

Oh, I see, Oskar Blues is the bad guy in all this. I don't really understand, wouldn't the entire "Gordon Biersch" name be trademarked, not just the word "Gordon"

Considering quite a few breweries use the word "brewing" or "brewery" in their name wouldn't that mean everybody but the first person to name themselves "XX Brewing" is also infringing on the trademark of someone else?

Old 01-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #9
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I didn't even know this:

"Gordon, the Oskar Blues beer, is named for Gordon Knight, a fire-fighting helicopter pilot and brewer who helped create the Twisted Pine, Wolf Tongue and Estes Park breweries in the early 1990s. Knight was killed in 2002 when the helicopter he was using to drop water on a fire near Lyons crashed."

That makes Gordon Biersch come across even worse.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #10
riverfrontbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Good post Wayne.....

One off topic item that I would like to point out to those that may not know or don't have access to Oscar Blues beers......look at the back of a can, or the can design above, at the "screen" between "ball" and "OB". That always makes me laugh!

Quick Reply