Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Old Speckled Hen?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2005, 07:59 PM   #1
SwAMi75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Old Speckled Hen?

Anyone tried this? I first had it on tap at an "Irish" pub in Japan(!). It's brewed by Moreland in the UK. The stuff was excellent....among my favorites.

So after coming back to the states, I was thrilled to find it locally. I bought a couple sixers and was in heaven. A couple weeks later I picked up some more, and it tasted like crap! Very bitter smell and flavor. I recommended the stuff to my buddy (orrelse), and he picked some up about the time I got the bad stuff, and he said the same thing. He told me my favorite beer sucks.

The stuff comes in clear bottles, which I figured was the culprit (very nice bottles, BTW). Orrelse found some in a pint can, and said it tasted the same. I can't figure out what the deal is, unless I just happened to get lucky and got some nice fresh stuff, and everything else since has been too old.

Anyone else tried it, and if so, what did you think? I'm hoping it's a freshness issue, and not my taste buds going on the fritz!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2005, 08:44 PM   #2
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam75
Anyone tried this? I first had it on tap at an "Irish" pub in Japan(!). It's brewed by Moreland in the UK. The stuff was excellent....among my favorites.

So after coming back to the states, I was thrilled to find it locally. I bought a couple sixers and was in heaven. A couple weeks later I picked up some more, and it tasted like crap! Very bitter smell and flavor. I recommended the stuff to my buddy (orrelse), and he picked some up about the time I got the bad stuff, and he said the same thing. He told me my favorite beer sucks.

The stuff comes in clear bottles, which I figured was the culprit (very nice bottles, BTW). Orrelse found some in a pint can, and said it tasted the same. I can't figure out what the deal is, unless I just happened to get lucky and got some nice fresh stuff, and everything else since has been too old.

Anyone else tried it, and if so, what did you think? I'm hoping it's a freshness issue, and not my taste buds going on the fritz!
I'll tell ya, getting in a can was cool too. The nitro widget made that look awesome in the glass. I'd definitely say the can was better than the bottles, but as I've told you before--I have something wrong with my palate when it comes to some import beers. I just taste something off-like a preservative or something. I never get that from tap beer. For example, Newcastle in bottles to me is borderline bad, where as from the tap its a great beer that I could drink all day.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 03-10-2005, 09:02 PM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Never tried it, but I would venture a guess that the beer was mistreated (hot/cold) and/or old just before you purchased it.

Sorry to hear it wasn't a hit. Don't take it out on your friend.

You have to remember that we homebrewers have a different way of tastingbecause we have trained our tastebuds and other senses to isolate flavors. I just look at it as their loss - and more HB for me!!

Last edited by homebrewer_99; 03-10-2005 at 09:04 PM.

Old 03-10-2005, 09:33 PM   #4
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:

Hey Sam, there is a homebrew book that is nothing but clone recipes for a bunch of different beers. OLd Speckled Hen is in that book. I can't remeber it for the life of me! My brew bud loves Old Speckled Hen too, but he likes that "gassy" taste and smell. It was kinda funky to me too. Has to be skunked from the UV rays. He actually brewed some cerveza, and after he bottled it, stuck it in the sun for 10-15 minutes. Tasted alot like Corona, Sol, etc. I've read that Corona actually has a special UV machine for the beer they can, to give it the gassy flavor like the bottled Corona. Crazy!

DeRoux's Broux

Old 03-11-2005, 12:09 AM   #5
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRoux's Broux
Hey Sam, there is a homebrew book that is nothing but clone recipes for a bunch of different beers. OLd Speckled Hen is in that book. I can't remeber it for the life of me! My brew bud loves Old Speckled Hen too, but he likes that "gassy" taste and smell. It was kinda funky to me too. Has to be skunked from the UV rays. He actually brewed some cerveza, and after he bottled it, stuck it in the sun for 10-15 minutes. Tasted alot like Corona, Sol, etc. I've read that Corona actually has a special UV machine for the beer they can, to give it the gassy flavor like the bottled Corona. Crazy!

DeRoux's Broux
Sounds like you're talking about "Clone Brews". I've got the book, and a batch of OSH clone bottle conditioning as we speak.

I think homebrewer99 is probably right, because I've gotten some in bottles that was excellent. I hate it because I'm afraid to buy it anymore. I don't want to pay $8 for a six pack of bad beer! Hopefully my clone turns out good, and I won't have to worry about it anymore!

Old 03-11-2005, 02:23 PM   #6
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Sounds like you're talking about "Clone Brews". I've got the book, and a batch of OSH clone bottle conditioning as we speak.

I think homebrewer99 is probably right, because I've gotten some in bottles that was excellent. I hate it because I'm afraid to buy it anymore. I don't want to pay $8 for a six pack of bad beer! Hopefully my clone turns out good, and I won't have to worry about it anymore!

you'd think i could have remembered that title?

that's the way to do it. find one you like, and clone it. after a couple batches, you'l lnail it down.

good luck!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 03-11-2005, 02:32 PM   #7
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

I just purchased the "Clone Brews" book several days ago.

I haven't ventured too far into because I am actually reading 4-5 books at the moment. I have them all over the house and pick them up whenever I'm in that room.

I am currently reading "Radical Brewing". I recommend it as it has a lot of history, comedy, anecdotes, etc., intermingled with the recipes and facts.

Old 03-11-2005, 03:15 PM   #8
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
I just purchased the "Clone Brews" book several days ago.

I haven't ventured too far into because I am actually reading 4-5 books at the moment. I have them all over the house and pick them up whenever I'm in that room.

I am currently reading "Radical Brewing". I recommend it as it has a lot of history, comedy, anecdotes, etc., intermingled with the recipes and facts.
i've seen it, just havent heard from anyone if it was worth picking up.

i'm the same way. my wife is always going behind me p/u my trail of Brew Your Own magazines and my other brew books. then i get hacked when i can't find the one i'm looking for!

Old 03-11-2005, 03:32 PM   #9
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

HA! I made a pact with my wife many years ago...she does not pick up after me...nothing, zilch, nada, nichts. (Now I know where everything is).

I recommend the Radical Brewing book. It's not a Papazian training book by any means, but it is a good read.

Old 03-18-2005, 06:10 AM   #10
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Sam75 and his OSH clone....

Guys...(and gals)

Sam's Old Speckled Hen clone came out freaking awesome. It tasted exactly like the canned and bottled version of the real one, but without the off-taste that I attest to some kind of preservative or light-struck factor.
It was a really nice beer. Color was dead on too. I had my wife (when she came to pick my drunk-a$$ up) bring a bottle of the real stuff from my fridge.
It was the best extract brew I've tasted yet--based on my limited consumption of my own and others.
Sam can confirm, but I think he went with the recipe straight from the Clone Brew book. If you like this style, go with it. It was good.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Quick Reply