Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Oklahoma to be drug into the 20th Century

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2006, 08:50 PM   #11
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
Someonre in UT should explain the I can't order another beer till my beer is finished rule.
It's to offset the multiple wives at a time thing .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2006, 12:59 AM   #12
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

That looks promising, but I'll bet the liquor stores get the "temperence" loonies riled up and on their side.

Odd that you can't copy and paste from that article, but I was going to quote the liquor store owner. To paraphrase, he said something like, "All the big stores will carry cheap crap, and no one there will be able to help customers make a selection. That's where our service really shines."

WTF is he smoking? You ever been to a liquor store in OK? Maybe things have changed somewhat, but the vast majority I've ever been in have about a half a rack of wine, most covered in dust. And the majority of those are gallon jugs. I've never seen a person working on one that looked like they might know a damn thing about wine.

I love the place, but damn it is bassackwards sometimes. I'm not sure I have a lot of faith in my fellow citizens, but let's hope things gets pushed through.

Gone unsung for far too long

Old 09-14-2006, 01:12 AM   #13
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

let's see, some of the crazy UT drinking laws are no wine or liquor allowed in grocery stores, and only the state gets to run the liquor stores. All beer is 3.2% and no one can sell alcohol on Sundays. The liquor stores close at 7. All bars are membership only. You can't get in without a sponsor or filling out a membership form.

I've never heard of holding the ID and having to finish one beer before ordering another, but I'll bet that was part of the 'concessions' the church... oops, I mean the state made to be able to host the 2002 Olympics.

Now I live in Oregon and make my own beer so I don't care what the blue laws are here :P

Old 09-14-2006, 02:09 AM   #14
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I know what you mean...I was leaving Wally-World in Anniston, AL this evening when people outside the doors were giving away bottled water.

My wife (a Baptist) asked why they were giving water away. They said "Because, Jesus loves you". I said, "If he really loved me then maybe you can get him to turn mine into a beer!"

Man, is my wife pissed! I don't know why they think they are so much holier than everyone else.

I think the Pilgrims are still taking it out on the rest of the States because the Mayflower put their collective a$$es off in MA instead of VA! But that's just a theory...

Old 09-14-2006, 06:02 AM   #15
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertBrew
Only been to UT once and ordered a drink at the airport bar. Bartender requested ID; I was 39-40 years old & looking a bit older than 21 but he stroked my pride. He held onto the ID (not my CC) which I thought was strange but perhaps it's an airport thing. Then 70+ grandma sits down next to me; was carded and he held her ID too. That's when I got to asking wazzup and I guess everyone must relinquish their ID whilst drinking at the bar. Did you get that one too olllllo?

No that didn't happen to me, but THAT for sure would make stop drinking. Thx ultra-invasive "values" government. I'll never drink again.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 09-14-2006, 06:31 AM   #16
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
No that didn't happen to me, but THAT for sure would make stop drinking. Thx ultra-invasive "values" government. I'll never drink again.
You mean it would make you stop drinking altogether? Or stop drinking in Utah and/or airports or anywhere your ID is held while drinking?

Old 09-14-2006, 07:18 AM   #17
Teedocious
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Emporer BillyBrew
http://www.okgazette.com/news/templa...d=699&zoneid=3

More likely, it will get more people drinking good beer which drive up demand and selection. One thing I couldn't tell was that if they will be able to sell it cold. Our liquor stores have to sell their beer hot right now.

oh my god - what the hell is wrong with oklahoma? How can anyone live in a place where you need to ammend the constitution to sell beer in a grocery store???

Are you also going to need an ammendment to sell it cold?

i'm just kinda dumbfounded here...

Old 09-14-2006, 04:29 PM   #18
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer4breakfast
You mean it would make you stop drinking altogether? Or stop drinking in Utah and/or airports or anywhere your ID is held while drinking?
The Utah government cannot outright ban alcohol (yeah 21st amendment), all they can do is make it inconvenient or a nuscience to consume alcohol.

As if this would somehow change my feelings about exercising my rights.

I was being silly, but not perhaps as silly as them.

Apparently you need a license to brew in UT, but homebreing is not officially recognized.
http://www.beertown.org/statutes/utah.htm
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 09-14-2006, 04:40 PM   #19
ayrton

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hrm, it looks like PA has the same status. I thought this issue was federally OK'd in 1978?

Old 09-14-2006, 04:45 PM   #20
2nd Street Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Cripes you guys are making NY sound almost progressive. We just recently were allowed to buy beer before noon on Sundays and liquor stores can be open Sundays too.

I worked for awhile in Penn and found out the hard way about trying to buy beer there. I got some strange looks in the grocery stores when I asked them were the sixers were

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt.

Quick Reply