Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > odd or original west coast breweries

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2009, 03:59 PM   #11
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Here is your next new regional treasure:

Pfiff!: A new Marin beer destination in the Works

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2009, 04:08 PM   #12
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonalexdeval View Post
I've had Pliny the Elder on draft... was actually a bit underwhelmed for some reason. I should check out some of their others though judging by their website.
Getting it on draft anywhere other that at the RR pub is a gamble. I had it on tap at the pub and is amazing. I have had it on tap at BJs in Roseville where your server does not even tell you that they have it even when you ask what beers do they have?

I went in once before I have ever had a pliny but was looking for one. I saw the tap on the way out after dinner and was mad since I asked what "other" beers they had besides their own and was not told out it.

At any rate I went back and was ready this time, I ordered it and it just wasn't as fresh as the pubs and lost a lot of its aroma and a little taste. I blame it on the staff for not informing people of their choices and I am sure the keg has been sitting there for a while. Plus it is $2 more a glass than other beers.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:05 PM   #13
jonalexdeval
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo View Post
You need to get out more...

Even the most established micro in your town has rare-exceptional beers:
Anchor Our Barrel Ale
Anchor Our Barrel Ale - Anchor Brewing Company - BeerAdvocate

Go to the Trappist.
Get on the Bart and hit Toronado & City Beer
I do love the Trappist. I don't go there enough though!

I like Anchor, but I haven't tried many of their more peripheral brews. From what I've heard, they do the basic steam beer best though.

Do you mean the city beer store on Folsom street? I've been wanting to go there.

Last edited by jonalexdeval; 09-11-2009 at 07:12 PM.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:41 PM   #14
Grizzlybrew

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_PA View Post
Assuming you are in Douglasville, PA, care to name the bar?
Sorry... Douglasville, GA. Land of no-sunday-alcohol sales and just recently allowed high-gravity... it's terrific... (snicker)

It's great down here in the bible belt!

Old 09-11-2009, 10:08 PM   #15
Duckfoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybrew View Post
Sorry... Douglasville, GA. Land of no-sunday-alcohol sales and just recently allowed high-gravity... it's terrific... (snicker)

It's great down here in the bible belt!
Hey now, there are some good places to get some great beers around the metro ATL... Granted, you may have to drive a bit, but it is still accessible...

On deck : DFB Triple Black Death By Chocolate Stout
Primary: Notta...
Secondary: 21 Year Mead...
Kegged : DFB Belgian Pale, DFB Brown, DFB Belgian Dark Strong, DFB Cider...
------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!

Old 09-11-2009, 10:30 PM   #16
Berkbeer
Recipes 

Trappist - Lukas Tap Room - Jupiter -Triple Rock- 21st Amend - Magnolia - City Beer - the list is too long. We live in a beer heaven if you ae looking for odd bottlings City beer is def. for you. Also watch for odd offerings from Valley Brew - Nottoberfest is featuring them, never had any but should be cool and includes beer ice cream Beer & Nosh » Notoberfest . Jump on Bart and beer is always close by.

Primary 1 - Dry
Primary 2 - Dry
Secondary - Dry
Tap 1 - California Common Hoppy Red
Tap 2 - Oatmeal Stout
Tap 3 - James IPA - Dry Hopping
Tap 4 - Dry

Old 09-11-2009, 11:41 PM   #17
svudah
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
I went in once before I have ever had a pliny but was looking for one. I saw the tap on the way out after dinner and was mad since I asked what "other" beers they had besides their own and was not told out it.
Hehe, that reminds me when I used to work at Rogue's Eugene location. We'd almost always have a "secret" beer on tap. Usually, this was an experimental or "one-batch" offering that our pub would only get a keg or two of like Dead guy aged in Dead Guy Whiskey barrels or a keg of 3 year aged Old Crustacean.

Usually, these beers would blow in a day or two (often before I got to have a pint), so we just told regulars and obvious beer geeks, who would likely appreciate them. I would never not sell someone a pint of these beers, or deny we had them if asked.

Moral of the story: be nice to your bartender/server and ask lots of questions.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:16 AM   #18
jonalexdeval
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkbeer View Post
Trappist - Lukas Tap Room - Jupiter -Triple Rock- 21st Amend - Magnolia - City Beer - the list is too long. We live in a beer heaven if you ae looking for odd bottlings City beer is def. for you. Also watch for odd offerings from Valley Brew - Nottoberfest is featuring them, never had any but should be cool and includes beer ice cream Beer & Nosh » Notoberfest . Jump on Bart and beer is always close by.
I've not been to Lukas yet believe it or not. Jupiter and Triple Rock don't really cut it for me in terms of variety or style (although I did enjoy my last Jupiter dry stout). 21st Ammendment is cool but trendy and their beer is just ok imo (I do appreciate the originality of watermelon wheat, but their ambers tasted bland and soapy). I need to get to City Beer. I'm looking for pretty unique stuff, mostly import recreational or neo styles... pretty much anything with wheat, fruit or unusual yeasts. I've recently got into mead also... which is fun.

I'm more looking for suggestions as to west coast brews that I could find in a store like city beer. They don't have to be bay area breweries.

Last edited by jonalexdeval; 09-12-2009 at 12:28 AM.

Quick Reply