The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Oakshire Brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
5B-brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Oakshire Brewing

Hate to say this, being an Oregonian and wanting to support local, but every Oakshire beer I've tried tastes of cardboard like it's been exposed to oxygen. Am I the only one tasting this? Anyone else?

In Secondary:Westy 12 clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 05:26 AM   #2
ayupbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5B-brewing
Hate to say this, being an Oregonian and wanting to support local, but every Oakshire beer I've tried tastes of cardboard like it's been exposed to oxygen. Am I the only one tasting this? Anyone else?
Not for me. I have to say I'm a big fan of the winter brew ill tempered gnome!!

Old 12-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
5B-brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I've only had the gnome on tap. I liked it. It's everything I've bought by them in bottles that I taste cardboard.

Anybody know if they bottle themselves or hire a bottling company?

In Secondary:Westy 12 clone

Old 12-10-2012, 01:36 AM   #4
ayupbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5B-brewing
I've only had the gnome on tap. I liked it. It's everything I've bought by them in bottles that I taste cardboard.

Anybody know if they bottle themselves or hire a bottling company?
I dunno but I just had it on draught tonight and was trying to see if I got a cardboard flavor. I think I know what you are getting at but I wouldn't say cardboard, on the other hand I don't know how I would describe it or which ingredient the flavor is coming from.........

Old 02-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
haljordan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5B-brewing View Post
You are not alone. The only "regular" beer of their's that is tolerable to me is the espresso stout. I simply do not understand how these guys can justify their massive expansion. I don't get it. What I imagine is that they have great customer service/marketing.

My girlfriend and I are crazy about beer and homebrewing and flat out do not understand....

I will say that a few of their seasonals have been "ok" an amber comes to mind that I had somewhere downtown Eugene.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:52 AM   #6
C38368
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Can't say I've ever encountered this before. But as with some others, I rarely have Oakshire in the bottle. From the tap, it's always been good. I've been to their brewery once, and I sure don't recall seeing anything resembling a bottling line, but that doesn't mean much of anything.

Here in Eugene, it's Hop Valley that always tastes a little weird to me...

Primary: Little Lion IPA v2
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Little Lion IPA (v2), Proud Kitty Pale Ale, and one last bottle of the weird brown ale that wanted to be an Oud Bruin when it grew up.
On deck: Cascadia, a CDA, or a stout.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #7
dog_gone
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Interestingly (only to me, perhaps), I LOVE Oakshire beers. That being said, I've never purchased their beer in the bottle.

Whether it's their Watershed IPA, Overcast Stout, Very Ill Tempered Gnome, or, most recently, their Hellshire III, I love the stuff. The only issue I've had is that the Frog's Wort Pale Ale can be inconsistent.

They do have a small bottling line at the moment, but are expanding to the Whiteaker area in Eugene. If I understood them correctly, the new facility will include more bottling capacity and a new canning line. They will continue to brew at their current facility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C38368 View Post
Can't say I've ever encountered this before. But as with some others, I rarely have Oakshire in the bottle. From the tap, it's always been good. I've been to their brewery once, and I sure don't recall seeing anything resembling a bottling line, but that doesn't mean much of anything.

Here in Eugene, it's Hop Valley that always tastes a little weird to me...

Quick Reply