Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > A Newfound Appreciation for BMC. Really.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2007, 08:57 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default A Newfound Appreciation for BMC. Really.

I went over to the neighbor's last night for some sushi, and brought along one of my new summer favorites, the 2005 Bessin Old Vines Chablis. Great stuff. When we finished that, it was on to their stuff---which was mainly liquor (wasn't feeling that) and a case of The Silver Bullet that another neighbor had brought over. Now, I never ever drink American Light Lager BMC stuff. Just not into it. Somewhat of an elitist thing, you know? But I thought, hell, why not...so I threw back 4 or 5 of them.

And after making my own beer for a year now, and appreciating how effing difficult it is to make a simple pilsner, the stuff was actually not bad. Heresy, especially coming from someone who works in a beer shop that won't even stoop to stocking Sam Adams...but seriously, I used to group beer into two distinct categories: BMC, and everything else. But I think that this hobby really helps you appreciate various styles of beer for what they are. I still despise what I see as false advertising, where they get all in-depth about the supposed taste of their beer, but all in all, it was NOT bad stuff. I wouldn't buy it for myself, ever, but I expected much worse.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2007, 09:08 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
coming from someone who works in a beer shop that won't even stoop to stocking Sam Adams...

Wait a minute, the shop you work at won't even "stoop" to carrying Sam Adams? Really?

How friggin' elistist can you get? I wouldn't shop there just because that attitute would piss me off beyond belief.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:18 PM   #3
mozicodo

Recipes 

Yeah. Since when was Sam Adams part of BMC?

Xtreme Mashtun Build Open Beer Data Project @aptidude on identi.ca

Android Software: ZymTools Free ZymTools Full

Old 06-07-2007, 09:25 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If it weren't for SA, a LOT of people would have never made the jump to craft beers.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 06-07-2007, 10:28 PM   #5
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
...but seriously
Just in case everyone missed it. He said. "...but seriously".
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 06-07-2007, 10:30 PM   #6
DeadYetiBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
If it weren't for SA, a LOT of people would have never made the jump to craft beers.
True, but I don't think Sam Adams is that great, I mean i'd drink it before a lot of stuff but i think it's over advertised and greatly overestimated.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:39 PM   #7
_Edge

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadYetiBrew
True, but I don't think Sam Adams is that great, I mean i'd drink it before a lot of stuff but i think it's over advertised and greatly overestimated.
We should like SA if for the only reason that they are spending ad money on their homebrew competition and buying homebrew equipment. That was the reason I'm a HBer now!

Old 06-07-2007, 10:41 PM   #8
DeadYetiBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by egerrish
We should like SA if for the only reason that they are spending ad money on their homebrew competition and buying homebrew equipment. That was the reason I'm a HBer now!
Yeah i wouldn't have entertained the idea of homebrew without seeing the first LongShot commercials... What i was saying is that SA isn't bad, it's good beer, it's just that since i've started homebrewing I've found that my beer tastes better than most of the SA i've tasted, and I've started having other craft and micro brews that do it better than SA. However, SA made it possible for other Craft and Micro breweries to increase business..

Old 06-07-2007, 11:59 PM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No, no, it wasn't serious, folks. We don't carry Sam Adams, but that's for better reasons than elitism: simple economics. First off, we have limited real estate. Second, our competition would be grocery stores, most of which can whoop us in price wars due to their size. So we usually can't afford to take up space with too many "mainstream" beers that the grocery down the hill also carries.

As such, I have no problem politely sending people down the hill when they're looking for Heineken or Sam's. You don't waste space trying to compete with the big boys just for the sake of it, you know? I think the most mainstream thing we have right now is Sierra Nevada (not the pale - you can get that at any gas station).

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 06-08-2007, 05:21 AM   #10
DeadYetiBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
No, no, it wasn't serious, folks. We don't carry Sam Adams, but that's for better reasons than elitism: simple economics. First off, we have limited real estate. Second, our competition would be grocery stores, most of which can whoop us in price wars due to their size. So we usually can't afford to take up space with too many "mainstream" beers that the grocery down the hill also carries.

As such, I have no problem politely sending people down the hill when they're looking for Heineken or Sam's. You don't waste space trying to compete with the big boys just for the sake of it, you know? I think the most mainstream thing we have right now is Sierra Nevada (not the pale - you can get that at any gas station).
Not around here.... Very few stores sell anything less common than Guinness, Harp, Smithwick's, or the like. There's only a couple here that have a good beer selection, 1 Kroger, Buster's Liquors and Wines, and the 3 Habits.

Quick Reply