Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Newcastle Brown Ale sucks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2008, 03:55 AM   #11
DrinksWellWithOthers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Newcastle on tap is alright. I used to think it was great back in my Newcastle, Corona, and Heineken days. Has anyone had Newcastle in the can? I've heard its supposed to be much better than the bottle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2008, 05:16 AM   #12
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinksWellWithOthers View Post
Newcastle on tap is alright. I used to think it was great back in my Newcastle, Corona, and Heineken days. Has anyone had Newcastle in the can? I've heard its supposed to be much better than the bottle.

Agreed. It's my port in a storm when there is no proper beer.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:47 PM   #13
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

From Beer Advocate which I happen to agree with

Quote:
This brew uses corn grits, added liquid sugar and is pasteurised. Hardly a "real ale" from England. It's very much a commercial beer these days, and long gone is the age old "goodness." It's now another brew victim to global fame and demand. Despite this, it's drinkable. Not the best brew, or Brown Ale even. In fact, some might find its claimed "special flavour" hard to swallow. Newky Brown uses the tag line "The One and Only" ... let's hope so.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at 85 degrees as I type.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #14
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

It is available on draft, but you'll probably have to look around a bit. I've had many a pint while wandering around RenFaires. Rarely see it any place else and the bottled stuff bites. They should use cans exclusively for export.

It's a good example of the style. If you don't like Northern Brown Ales, you'll hate it.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-22-2008, 07:22 PM   #15
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBrew View Post
Newcastle was the bridge for me off of BMC. In hindsight yes it does suck but I thank it for steering me away from the real swill.
The same for me.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:26 PM   #16
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 509 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
From Beer Advocate which I happen to agree with

Quote:
This brew uses corn grits, added liquid sugar and is pasteurised. Hardly a "real ale" from England. It's very much a commercial beer these days, and long gone is the age old "goodness." It's now another brew victim to global fame and demand. Despite this, it's drinkable. Not the best brew, or Brown Ale even. In fact, some might find its claimed "special flavour" hard to swallow. Newky Brown uses the tag line "The One and Only" ... let's hope so.
That sounds very accurate, and would explain possibly, why I liked it 30 years ago, but didn't like it the last time I tried it. I do regret saying in a previous post that it truly truly sucked though. I should have just said I was extremely disappointed....Just as I was with Old Speckled Hen in bottles.

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 08-22-2008, 07:35 PM   #17
Brooklyn-Brewtality
Four Beasts Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had one the other day. Could barely drink it, thought I had accidentally taken a sip from a car battery.

Kegged: Berlinerweisse, Dubbel, Galaxy Wheat
Bottled: Golden Strong, Mild, IIPA, Rauch
Fermenting: Saison, Imperial Wheat Stout, Brett Saison, APA, Brett Roggenbier

Old 08-22-2008, 07:39 PM   #18
Danny013
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I agree with everything previous, as well! Drinkable on tap, never had it in a can though. It was definitly good and an important part in the process of my beer education, but now I'll only have it on tap at a place I frequent and if there is nothing else available.

Getting it on tap is a gamble in some places around here - and im sure in a lot of other places as well; it is very common for the keg to be old/lines to be sour in a lot of bars that don't have a lot of demand for it and don't know wtf they are doing, lol.

A bit OT, but why do a lot of the English breweries ship their stuff over here in clear bottles? I went out and got a 6er of Old Speckled Hen and bam, skunked! Should have known...In cans or on tap is great, though.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:26 PM   #19
Bouza
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I still enjoy one from time to time. It has its place. I've always considered it very much like milk. In that... it will calm an upset stomach. I think mostly because the beer is so bland.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:38 PM   #20
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Man, you guys are pretty rough on poor ol' Newcastle. Yeah, I'd never order it at Mad Anthony's or anything stupid like that, but when you've been forced into eating at Outback and you see Bud, Bud Lite...blah blah...Foster's, then the Newcastle tap handle is a welcome sight.

I'm just sayin'.

Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Quick Reply