Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > New Obsession: La Maudite (Unibroue)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2006, 03:36 PM   #11
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Thanks, guys. Sounds like a plan. I'll try to get a good flavor profile (perhaps compare it to some clone-able Belgians). Right now some of the spices are preventing me from making a good analysis of the grist itself, and I'm not particularly skilled at that in the first place. I was also three sheets to the wind the other night, which is never good for tasting notes.

cweston, Maudite is probably best described as a dark red ale in terms of color. I was waffling between roasted barley and chocolate malt in terms of getting the color right with an ounce or two, but I'm pretty sure I don't want any trace of roasted barley in the flavor.

I'm going to acquire by hook or crook some 3864 and give this a go probably in May when it's a little warmer here. I think it could be a fun "group clone" project for anybody who's interested.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2006, 03:44 PM   #12
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Dark red is probably a good description of my dubbel color: I would probably have said "deep copper." It's definitely a little less brown and more red than I expected, and overall not quite as dark as I expected.

If I made that recipe again, I might up the amount of special B a bit, and/or cook the candi sugar a bit darker. I made it somewhere bewteen amber and dark, because I was a little concerned with getting too much carmel flavor and color from it. (And 'cause I'm basicaly impatient, I guess.) Now that I've tasted the finished product, I would like to have gotten a little more carmel flavor and color from it. (Not that I really care about the color--actually, this beer has the most gorgeous color of any I've ever made, even though it's not quite the color I was going for.)

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 04-04-2006, 04:39 PM   #13
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
If I made that recipe again, I might up the amount of special B a bit, and/or cook the candi sugar a bit darker. I made it somewhere bewteen amber and dark, because I was a little concerned with getting too much carmel flavor and color from it. (And 'cause I'm basicaly impatient, I guess.) Now that I've tasted the finished product, I would like to have gotten a little more carmel flavor and color from it. (Not that I really care about the color--actually, this beer has the most gorgeous color of any I've ever made, even though it's not quite the color I was going for.)
I was reading just last night in Beer Captured that candi sugar won't affect the color much at all, even though it might have a really high Lovibond rating...that it's more of a flavor thing (which seems to be borne out in your results). I haven't used it, but I'm pretty sure it would be an essential component of this clone (or some type of sugar).

Old 04-04-2006, 05:17 PM   #14
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee
I was reading just last night in Beer Captured that candi sugar won't affect the color much at all, even though it might have a really high Lovibond rating...that it's more of a flavor thing (which seems to be borne out in your results). I haven't used it, but I'm pretty sure it would be an essential component of this clone (or some type of sugar).
This is true. Sugar requires an extremely high temperature to carmelize. You would need almost equal parts of each (liqiuid & sugar) to achieve carmelization. At 10% of the total grist, it would be superfluous. The belgian candy sugar is going to contribute to a malty taste, and naturally increase the gravity as well.

Belgian Aromatic and Special B malts are really going to contribute to the deep/rich color you seek, as well as the malty taste.

The biscuit will primarily add color and body

I used the malted wheat to help with head retention and just cuz the belgians do too!

Old 04-18-2006, 05:48 PM   #15
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

glibbidy, I think you're on to something. I went to the LHBS last weekend and picked up aromatic, special b, and crystal 40L (which they say is CaraMunich I...). While sampling a La Maudite, I chomped on the grains. I'm quite confident that aromatic is present. The jury was out on the special b and CaraMunich, but based on the color and getting that adjusted in Promash, I think the special b (at 120-130L) is the answer. For my first attempt I'm going with the aromatic and special b.

In terms of the base, I have some Pilsen the Kaiser slipped me, but I also noticed that this beer is quite cloudy and has amazing head stamina (insert obligatory reference here). So I'm going to divide the base between Pilsen and malted wheat.

Hops: I think Hersbrucker for the aroma will work, and I'll probably bitter with Columbus since I've got it and it's high AA.

Spices: Pretty sure there's some orange peel (I've got both sweet and bitter, probably go sweet first try), and in a sniff test in the spice rack while imbibing the beer I'm 90% sold on allspice instead of the more conventional coriander.

Yeast: I'll either purchase from Wyeast or attempt to culture from a bottle.

Old 04-20-2006, 06:20 PM   #16
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

I get orange and hints of clove on this one. I think both of these are attributes of the yeast they use. Idon't know which strain they are using, but whatver it is, it sure is highly phenolic.

Old 04-20-2006, 06:50 PM   #17
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Apparently they have their own strain, though I'm sure it's derived from one of the Belgian strains. I might get one of the 750's and try and culture it since my LHBS doesn't carry it (though they'd probably order it for me).

Old 04-20-2006, 09:41 PM   #18
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

La Fin Du Monde is one of my best friend's all-time favorites. It's gotten to where it's the only beer he buys for himself anymore. I've tried to brew a clone twice now and posted the recipes here at HBT. I've always thought it would be great to treat him to a homebrewed version.

Mine have both turned out well - just not like a true 'Fin'. I have cultured the yeast from their bottles, but I'm pretty sure they bottle with a different yeast than they brew with. I could be wrong on that. Next time I try to brew it, I'm going to use more of a triple recipe.

Old 04-21-2006, 02:13 AM   #19
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoobarb
I have cultured the yeast from their bottles, but I'm pretty sure they bottle with a different yeast than they brew with. I could be wrong on that. Next time I try to brew it, I'm going to use more of a triple recipe.
My understanding is that they add more yeast at bottling, but that it is the same strain. But I'm not sure either...seems to be plenty of sketchy info on Unibroue. I actually haven't tried any of their other brews yet, but plan to.

Old 04-21-2006, 02:19 AM   #20
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee
I actually haven't tried any of their other brews yet, but plan to.
C'mon up BeeG, my local beer-monger has a good realtionship with them and gets all the limited edition stuff. There's a ton of it.

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Quick Reply