The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > New Glarus Crack'd Wheat...wow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
BogusOwnz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default New Glarus Crack'd Wheat...wow

I have been on this huge hefeweizen kick for the last 6 weeks or so just trying everything I can read about and find. I decided to pick up a six pack of Crack'd Wheat while doing my grocery shopping up in Wisconsin since I read such good stuff about it. I cracked a couple open for my dad and I and poured them into a glass expecting another hefeweizen. Boy was I shocked when I got a citrus hoppiness out of the beer. The hefeweizen yeast and the amarillo dry hoping makes this such a unique and drinkable beer. If you live in Wisconsin or are near by this is a must try for the wheat beer lover.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
uwjester
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm intrigued. I have a hefeweizen on deck to brew. I'm not a huge fan myself, but the guy I brew with loves them, so we do a few. From their website, it looks like New Glarus uses red wheat in their grain bill. Any comment on color or flavor from that?

--------------------------------------------------
This space intentionally left blank.
--------------------------------------------------

Old 04-07-2010, 12:27 AM   #3
BogusOwnz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The color when you pour it and after the yeast swirl is maybe a tiny bit of a deeper orange then a traditional hefe but it pretty much looks like a hefe in the glass. As far as flavor goes it's hard to make out of the red wheat has a distinct flavor imo. I might just not have an advanced enough palate.

Quick Reply