Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > new belgium - lips of faith 'dunkel weiss'

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 12:22 AM   #1
android
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default new belgium - lips of faith 'dunkel weiss'

anyone else had this? i found it at our local liquor store the other day and finally opened it tonight. really good beer. nice banana and a little bit of clove, and more roasty/chocolate than your average dunkelweizen, which, IMHO, really plays well with the banana. sometimes the banana gets too much for me to handle in some of the german weizen beers, but the level of roast and chocolate in this beer doesn't let it dominate. i should like to emulate this beer someday.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 12:45 AM   #2
pjk49202
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

i looked at that the other day and ended up buying something else. will definitely have to pick it up sometime soon.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:16 AM   #3
EarlyBirdBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had it and got the toasty flavor but felt like the clove was too strong and needed some hop balance. It does hide the fact that it is 9% very well. I also like the black pepper on the finish. Not my favorite New Belgium but interesting.

EarlyBird Brewing
www.earlybirdbrew.com

Primary: [Emma]rillo Wheat, Apfelwein
Secondary: N/A
Bottled: AHS 20th Pale Ale, British Mild, Blueberry Chocolate Stout, Piloncillo Brown, Baltic Porter, Oaked Baltic Porter

Old 05-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #4
DregAddict
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just had a bottle last night, and honestly I didn't like it very much. IMO the black pepper overpowered any of the banana and clove flavors that I was expecting. I usually find hefeweizens and dunkelweizens to be very refreshing, but the black pepper gave it a savory characteristic that made it anything but refreshing. I've liked a lot of the other LOF series beers, but I don't think I'll be buying this one again. Between sips I could even taste the black pepper still if I licked my lips.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:29 AM   #5
Cascadegan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I love the name dunkel weiss it translates to 'dark white' which seems like a bit of an oxymoron

Is anyone familiar with southern german? I remember reading that weiss is how they say wheat in the bavarian accent but I wasn't sure if that's true

Old 05-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
iahebert
Recipes 

I had it at NB's mothership a few months back now, and all I can remember is it tasting hauntingly like Sauerkraut. It could've been the 3 other breweries I hit up before NB, and the subsequent buzz, but doubtful.

Primary: Nothing
Conditioning/Drinking: Centennial Pale Ale
On Deck: Banana Cream Rye

Old 05-13-2011, 01:18 AM   #7
Catalina
Recipes 

it sounded really good, especially the chocolate part - I love the Franziskaner Dunkelweizen - but then the pepper part turned me off. But I'll definitely try it if I find any.

Quick Reply