Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > New Belgium French Aramis

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2013, 04:39 AM   #1
mtodd22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default New Belgium French Aramis

Has anyone tried this beer? I saw it tonight and my excitement grew as it always does when NB releases a new brew.

I can honestly say this is the first time I've been disappointed by a NB beer. It's pretty gross. I got strong notes of raw pumpkin and grass. The grass was intentional, I think, but it was just not good... Especially as an IPA example.

Am I alone on this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
jmp781
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I tried it over the weekend and enjoyed it. I'd like to brew with those hops but have not been able to find them anywhere. I got the grassy notes but not the raw pumpkin.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
darrrrkvengeance
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

i haven't tried the NB brew; but i recently brewed up a recipe of my own using only Aramis hops and got quite a different impression. (if you want to see what i did, i posted about it here: Aramis hops (and basic recipe).)

in my experience, the Aramis hops have been intensely -- almost overwhelmingly -- floral. (to the extent that if i were thinking of making a jasmine IPA, i might instead think of just using a lot of Aramis; and would surely use that as my flavor/aroma hop choice to complement any actual jasmine.) although there are definitely grassy notes, for me they reveal themselves more in the bitterness that lingers after the initial floral notes.

in certain respects, the hop might be too much like drinking a beer in a florist's shop to appeal to some tastes; but i think it's got a lot of potential for brewers who like to experiment.

(sorry if this is somewhat off-topic to the particular NB brew.)

Old 08-19-2013, 12:42 AM   #4
Ramitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 156

I sit here drinking a bomber of this odd ale, not sure what to think. It is no way drinks like an IPA and that is ok, but if you cal it an IPA I have certain expectations and it confuses me. The bitterness is just not what I expect, it is rated at 70 some ibus, but drinks like 30. Could be my bottle I guess but it is dated 08dec13,so not old. It is certainly dry, but not sure I love the flower shop effect all that much.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! - Bill Owen

Old 08-19-2013, 01:40 AM   #5
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 362 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 118

I like that NB takes risks with their beers, and some are weird but awesome, others not so good. I think their Pumpkin is horrible, but love many of their belgian style special bombers.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Quick Reply